Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.73732°N / 114.97568°W
Additional Information County: Camas
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10124 ft / 3086 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Newman Peak

As the highest point in the Boise Mountains, Two Point Mountain is the only peak that rises above 10,000 feet in the range.  Situated in a scenic portion of the southeastern section of the Boise Mountains, Two Point sits remotely away from civilization near the headwaters of the South Fork of the Boise River.  Views of the nearby Sawtooth Mountains  are unique in that you'll see the seldom viewed southwestern edge of that range which includes The Rakers and Elk Peak.  Access to the base of Two Point Mountain is limited to Summer and Fall and usually involves crossing Bear Creek.  A prominent and easy ridge runs up the SSE slopes of Two Point and provides a fun scramble.  Like most peaks in the region, the north side is more vertical and impressive. The scenic and alpine Little Bear Lake lies to the north of the peak and is worthy of exploration.  Nearby Newman Peak sits to the south of Two Point Point Mountain and makes for an excellent snow climb or trail run. Both peaks can be done in a day.

Routes

Two Point Mountain

Two Point Routes.  

South Slopes:  From where Goat Creek comes down into Bear Creek, follow the Jeep road to 7500 feet and cross east over the unnamed creek to gain a prominent ridgeline.  The slope actually gets less steep toward the top and becomes more alpine with some rock hopping.

2.0 miles and 2948 feet elevation gain (one-way)

West Ridge :   From where Goat Creek comes down into Bear Creek, follow the Jeep road up to Tip Top Mine at 8800 feet.  From this point, there's a prominent saddle between Point 9788 and 9641.  Obtain this saddle and follow this impressive ridge east to the summit. The true summit is the southernmost one

4.1 miles and 3664 feet elevation gain (one-way)

The north side routes are accessed from the Little Bear Lake and Perkons Lake.  A trail leads to Perkons Lake and the north side routes are in the Class 3-4 range.


If Bear Creek is raging, then you'll need to hike or bike and extra 4.7 miles
after crossing it.


Activity Matrix

Sawtooths from Two Point
New Page 1
Activity Rating 1-10 Required Experience
Rock Climbing p advanced
Alpine Climbing 6 intermediate
Hiking / Scrambling 7 beginner
Trail Running 3 intermediate
Mtn Biking 0  n/a

 

Key:

p=potential, but unknown

Getting There

Two Point Mtn

From ID-20 near Fairfield, Idaho drive north following the signs for the Soldier Mountain Ski Resort.  A few miles before the resort, you'll bear right and follow the dirt road over Couch Summit.  After the summit, you'll descend to the Little Smokey Creek with many drive-in campgrounds.  At a major junction, you'll go straight, up and over Fleck Summit, then descend to the South Fork of the Boise River. After the road crosses the river you'll pass the South Boise Corrals. About 1 miles after that, you'll bear left and come to the Bear Creek Crossing.  In most years up to July, this creek will be 3 feet deep. Park here, or follow the Bear Creek drainage for 4.7 miles to about 7180 feet and the Goat Creek junction. 

Conditions

Elk- Fall 2009

Boise National Forest Site

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/boise/


Nearest SNOTEL site gives latest snow depth readings:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=306&state=id


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.