Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.70400°N / 117.909°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9450 ft / 2880 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piper Peak is the highest point in the Silver Peak Mountains. This relatively unknown mountain rises prominently above the Lake Valley near the California border. Piper Peak is located within the Silver Peak Wilderness Study Area, which is controlled by the BLM. The lower slopes of the Silver Peak Mountains have desert vegetation typical of Nevada, but the upper slopes are forested. There are no developed campgrounds or trails in the Silver Peak Mountains, and it appears that relatively few people venture out into this area.

The new field of Prominence has made Piper Peak a somewhat important mountain. With a prominence of 4,083', Piper Peak is able to make a fairly impressive appearance on the crowded Nevada Prominence Map.


Getting There

Near the small town of Dyer on Nevada State Highway 264, there is a signed intersection with Eagle Road. Go east on Eagle Road for a few miles, where you will reach a signed intersection with McAfee Canyon Road. Turn left, and start heading up towards McAfee Canyon. There is only one road that enters McAfee Canyon, so it’s pretty easy to find. There are also other ways to reach the McAfee Canyon Road besides using Eagle Road. It really doesn’t matter how you get to it. At a certain point, two roads merge into one road before entering McAfee Canyon. From this intersection, drive about six miles up the good McAfee Canyon Road to a primitive road at about 7,250', which is shown here. This is the parking spot. However, you could also drive up a short distance to the end of the road and start there.


Mountain Conditions

This area is controlled by the BLM. The telephone number to the Battle Mountain BLM Field Office is attached below.

Topo Map: Piper Peak.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in this area, but primitive camping is allowed.

External Links

Piper Peak Picture
Silver Peak WSA
Nevada Prominence Map



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.