Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.11880°N / 82.1369°W
Additional Information County: Carter
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 5495 ft / 1675 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beartown Mountain stands like a towering buttress on the northwest flanks of Roan Mountain. Those hiking through Tennesee on the Appalachian Trail will pass its summit, the 32nd highest point in the state*. Beartown Mountain forms the crown of Beartown Ridge, which rises sharply from Hughes Gap in one of the steepest ascents (or descents) on the AT. Although most of the mountain is covered in dense broadleaf forest, a rock outcropping just off the trail near the summit allows sweeping views south and west.

* According to homepage.mac.com/mudbug65/gps/waypoints/tnpeaks.html
Peak at Twilight II

Getting There

Tennessee – From Interstate 26 in Johnson City exit US Highway 321 to Elizabethton. Follow 321 to 19E (in Elizabethton) and turn right. Take 19E southeast to Roan Mountain. Turn right on Highway 143 in Roan Mountain. Follow 143 south to Roan Mountain State Park. Drive through the park to the town of Burbank. Turn right on Cove Creek Road, which leaves 143 just before it curves left (SE) to climb the Roan Highlands. Drive 3.1 miles up Cove Creek to a gravel pullout on the right. The AT crosses the road here, at Hughes Gap. The trailhead is located across the road from the pullout.

North Carolina – From Elk Park, take 19E to Roan Mountain, TN. Turn left on Highway 143 in Roan Mountain. Follow 143 south to Roan Mountain State Park. Drive through the park to the town of Burbank. Turn right on Cove Creek Road, which leaves 143 just before it curves left (SE) to climb the Roan Highlands. Drive 3.1 miles up Cove Creek to a gravel pullout on the right. The AT crosses the road here, at Hughes Gap. The trailhead is located across the road from the pullout.

Red Tape

No permits required. No restrictions

Dusk


Camping

Backpackers and hikers can camp at designated spots along the trail. There is an AT shelter located above Beartown Mountain on Roan High Knob.

Camping is also located nearby at:

Roan Mountain State Park
1015 Hwy. 143
Roan Mountain, TN 37687
423.772.0190
www.tnstateparks.com

The Peak at Twilight

When To Climb

Spring, Fall and early summer. By late July one can expect swarms of insects and stifling humidity. In addition, many sweeping vistas are occluded during the summer months. Blueberries grow in patches on the summit and are ripe in mid August.

Beartown and Ash Gap Topo

Weather

Please note temperatures on Beartown Mountain are at least 5 degrees cooler than in Boone. Cloud cover is common even when most of the region is sunny.

Boone, North Carolina weather forecast.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Roan HighlandsMountains & Rocks