Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.18510°N / 117.1866°W
Additional Information County: Wallowa
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9041 ft / 2756 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dollar lake

Dollar Ridge (unofficially named) is the mountain that rises above Dollar lake. Although it is often overlooked because of its relatively low elevation compared to other Wallowa peaks, it is a wonderfull mountain that yields some of the best views I have found in the Wallowas.

There are two ways to summit, the west ridge from the pass between it and Petes Point, and the north ridge from Dollar lake. The North ridge is shorter and goes directly to the summit, where as the west ridge hits a few sub summits before reaching the true summit which is directly above Dollar lake. Both routes can easily be done in a long day from wallowa lake trailhead (16-18 miles round trip) but I recommend camping at Dollar lake and climbing a couple other peaks in the area.

Peakbagger.com puts it's elevation at 9080+ ranking it as the 30th highest peak in Oregon, but my GPS puts it at 9041 which would make it the 32nd highest. I have yet to find an official height.

Getting There

This mountain is most easily accessed via wallowa lake trail head. From Portland take I-84 east toward the Dalles for about 260 miles, then take exit 261 onto OR-82 and follow it to the town of Joseph. The trailhead is found at the "Head of the lake" tourist area.

From the trailhead take the main pack trail to Aneroid lake. About a mile past Aneroid lake there is a split in the trail, for the north ridge take a left, for the west ridge take a right. Either way you have about a mile to go.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead ($5/day or $30/year)

And a self-issued, free backcountry permit can be filled out at the trailhead.

Camping

Dollar lake reflection
Lake shore

Although it can be climbed in a day I highly recommend a night at Dollar lake.

Weather

Joseph, Oregon


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.