Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.56660°N / 105.1833°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6720 ft / 2048 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Arthur's Rock

Elevtion: 6720 ft / 2048 m

Hike Distance: 1.7 miles one way; 3.4 miles out and back
Difficulty: Moderate
Elevation Gain: Approximately 1,400 feet
Highest Point of Elevation: Approximately 6,800 feet
Seasons: Spring to Fall
Dogs: Allowed On Leash
​Nearest Town: Fort Collins, Colorado​

 

Arthur's Rock is a formation of pegmatite granite that bulges out of the rolling foothills on Colorado's Front Range. Located in Lory State Park, Arthur's Rock is one of the more popular hikes near Fort Collins. It starts at an elevation of about 5,500 feet and rises to an elevation of 6,782 feet. During the ascent, you will find yourself walking through dense Ponderosa Pine forest. In a turn of a corner, grassy meadows will appear and beautiful flora will follow. During the spring and throughout the fall Lory State Park is glittered with wildflowers. Among the wildflowers a hiker can find over a hundred different species of butterflies floating around the meadows and up the hillsides. A large mass of steep, solid granite will appear without warning and may look like a daunting conundrum. Do not fear. This hike is very moderate and technical-free. The crux of Arthur's is the last 50 feet.

 

A semi-steep rock gully takes you to the summit. However, it never gets harder than an easy class 2. You will have views of the whole Front Range all the way to Pikes Peak on a clear day- I recommend bringing a date. The peacefulness of this area as well as the continually active wildlife gives Aurthur's Rock a distinct and abrupt separation from the city. A hiker will feel miles away from civilization when venturing out into this beautiful area.

Routes

There are three routes that will lead you to the summit of Arthur's Rock. The most popular starts at Arthur's Rock Trail. This is located at the very end of the park (the dirt road will dead-end into a parking lot). From the trailhead hike 1.7 miles to the summit. There is an elevation gain of about 1,200 feet.

The second route adds some milage. Start at Homestead Picnic Area and head up Well Gulch Nature Trail. A few hundred yards up there is a conjunction with Overlook Trail. Head south on this flat hillside for 1.9 miles until it connects with Arthur's Rock Trail (it connects at the start of Arthur's Rock Trail). The most difficult part of this option is the added distance to the summit.

A third route will take you behind Arthur's Rock (the Northwest side). Park at the group picnic area and take Timber Trail. This route will lead you to the six primitive campsites the park has to offer. Timber Trail is the hardest of the three due to being longer (3.5 miles) and also because of steep switchbacks and rocky areas.


 

 

Getting there

Red Tape

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Parks Passes

  • Daily Vehicle Pass: $10
  • Individual Daily Pass: $4
  • Annual Pass:  $80 (affixed) or $120 (hang tag)
  • Aspen Leaf Annual Pass (64+)​: $70

For more information on passes, including purchasing multiple vehicle passes, large quantity discounts and specialty passes such as disability, military, etc, see the Parks Pass Information page.

Lory State Park:

At 2,492 acres, Lory State Park is actually bigger by land area than the nearby Horsetooth Reservoir. Combined with Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, and additional 2,700-acre preserve directly adjacent to Lory to the south, it spans from Satanka Cove to Inlet Bay on the Horsetooth Reservoir’s western edge and its trail network covers 55 miles.

The Horsetooth Reservoir is exceedingly popular, garnering 500,000 visitors annually, and many of these visitors pass through Lory State Park. Considered alone, Lory State Park offers 29 miles of trail. Those on the east side of the park offer access to Horsetooth Reservoir’s coves, including Soldier Cove and Eltuck Bay. Their open waters attract kayakers and paddlers, many of whom use the North Eltuck Bay parking lot as a boat launch for non-motorized craft. Without a boat ramp, motorized boats are forced to launch elsewhere, and put-ins at the coves are just a short walk from the parking lot.

The remaining trails in Lory State Park are gently graded loops shorter than 2.5 miles. Most of its trails are open to mountain biking and horseback riding, and the challenging Howard and Timber trails are recommended for expert riders. Additionally, the Corral Center Mountain Bike Park is a year round destination for mountain bikers, offering dirt jumps and a pump track on grounds that were converted from an old corral.

Lory State Park also includes an equestrian park. More than 40 jumps were restored in 2015 and include several different styles, including portable jumps, log piles, ramps, and cabins, bunkers, rollmops, corner jumps, trakehners, beer barrels, and picnic tables. Jump heights range from 24 to 39 inches, and the difficulty spans from Intro to Training levels, corresponding with the U.S. Eventing Association.

Six backcountry campsites are also available in Lory State Park on a first-come, first-served basis.

Camping

Camping at all state parks now requires a reservation. 

For more information, see the camping reservations page.

Back Country Camping

Lory has six back country campsites. All six campsites are a minimum 1 hour hike from the nearest parking lot. All campsites are now available for reservations. Remember that Lory DOES NOT ALLOW CAMP FIRES, however camp stoves are okay. All campsites are primitive and you must pack in and out all necessary items, including water.

Campsite reservations may be made by calling 1-800-244-5613​ or by reserving online

Camping at Lory State Park is in the back country only, meaning there are no campgrounds, car camping or RV camping available. These primitive sites can be accessed by at least a 2-mile, one-way hike. The back country sites are a good training ground for Scouts and other groups who want to train for longer backpacking and camping trips. There is no water, restrooms or tent pads at these sites and fires are prohibited. Small camp stoves are permitted. Call the park at (970) 493-1623 for back country camping information.

 

Restrictions:

  • Fires are prohibited in Lory State Park 
  • Cook stoves using propane or white gas are allowed
  • ​​Limit six persons per campsite.
  • Pets are allowed on a six foot leash in your control at all times
  • Hammocks are not allowed
 

External Links

Listsofjohn

Peakbagger

AllTrails

Outdoorproject

Visitftcollins

Trailforks