Mount Kearsarge North (Mount Washington Valley)

Mount Kearsarge North (Mount Washington Valley)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.10550°N / 71.0943°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3268 ft / 996 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Disclaimer

cell6



Due to the fact that my camera wasn't working, I have only one picture of this beautiful mountain and none of the views from the top. I have some camera phone pics that I have put on but they are of low quality. I WILL be back on this mountain to again take some nice pics in the near future. I can only tell you one thing, the views from this summit are great and this mountain is a can't miss in the Mount Washington Valley.

Overview

Mount Kearsarge North is a moderately popular mountain to hike in the Mount Washington Valley. In terms of height and difficulty this mountain is on a similiar scale to Mount Kearsarge (Warner), and Mt. Cardigan. This mountain is a little less popular then those mountains though because of its proximity to the Presidentials and the fact that there is only one route under ten miles roundtrip (Weeks Brook Route is over ten miles). Some of the many appeals is the fact the mountain is a)very close to the resort town of North Conway; b)has a commanding 360 degree of the Presidentials, The Mount Washington Valley and the interior of Maine; and c) easy enough so that families can attempt the this peak. On of the mountain is the historical fire tower which is a wooden structure that is very well kept up and unlike some other fire towers, not very intimidating to climb to the top. The summit log is located inside the fire tower and is on the desk for hikers to sign. If you climb up in the next couple of weeks you might want to check the summit log for Eastking (August 12th).

View from Fire Tower



The most popular trail to the summit of Mount Kearsarge North is the 6.2 mile roundtrip, 2560 elevation gain, YDS Class 1 Mount Kearsarge Trail. With good pacing a moderately fit person can do this peak in just over three hours, not including the break on top. This trail is like many trails in the White Mountains in that it starts out gradual and gets steeper and rockier as it rises higher up the mountain. The trail stays at moderate pitch and has no exposure or scrambling sections. There are some views on the way up but they are nothing compared to the summit views which rivals many in the 4000 feet club. Keep in mind that the first 0.3 miles is still residential and that the fact that the trail passes close by some houses.

Mt. Keasarge NorthMount Kearsarge North from the Mt. Washington Valley (8/12/06)

 

Getting There

VIA MOUNT KEARSARGE TRAIL: From Route 16 just 500 yards north of the famous Intervale over take Hurricane Mountain road and head east. The trailhead will be on your left about a half mile from Kearsarge Road.

Red Tape

There is none. Parking is minimal so try this one early if you need spaces to park. The mountain is much more crowded in the afternoon.

Camping

See Backcountry Camping for the White Mountains. I didn't see a sign objecting to sleeping in the fire tower, but I personally wouldn't do it. Please respect the tower because it was very well kept and extremely clean.

Weather Forecast

Here is a link to a weather forecast for Higher Summits of the White Mountains . Though Mount Kearsarge isn't even close to 4000 feet, it has a 2560 foot elevation gain and the climate on top is similar to the higher mountains of the region.

This another link to the weather forecast on the Mt. Washington Valley.

Trail Conditions

The Mount Washington Webcam can give you an idea of current conditions in the White Mountains.

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions on Mount Kearsarge North.

Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Other Links to this mountain

Another description of this very mountain and route. I found the times up and down a little too conservative (they must be including a one hour break to enjoy the views).

Here is a site that has three different portrait of this mountain from different times and different paints.

Another site describing the mountain.