Little Jackson Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.75161°N / 70.53497°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3470 ft / 1058 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Little Jackson Mountain is located in western Maine and forms the northern side of the Tumbledown Pond basin. The upper reaches of Little Jackson consist of scrub, dwarf spruce, and bare rock allowing excellent views in all directions. The view south is dominated by the Tumbledown massif. Looking west and north, the horizon is dotted with distant peaks including the higher peaks of Saddleback and the Horn, Mount Abraham, and Sugarloaf. The northern foreground is dominated by spruce clad Big Jackson. Mount Blue is a perfect pyramid on the eastern horizon along with beautiful Webb Lake. While the 360 degree views are impressive, the best view may be the one looking down to Tumbledown Pond, located some 600 feet below the summit. If you are not taking in the spectacular views, you are probably too busy picking blueberries. They are quite abundant from treeline all the way to the summit.
View SouthView southeast from Little Jackson.


Basic Route Information

The Little Jackson Trail approaches from the southeast on an old woods road. At approximately 0.4 miles, the Parker Ridge Trail leaves to the left ascending to Tumbledown Mountain. The Little Jackson Trail continues to climb to the col between Little and Big Jackson Mountains through a beautiful stand of paper birches. The trail reaches the col and turns left (southwest) and passes treeline at approximately 2.5 miles. From this point on, hikers will be completely exposed and care should be taken in bad weather or if visibility is low. The trail winds up the alpine slope arriving at the summit, 3.3 miles from the trailhead.

Gazing down at the pond from the summit, small cairns are visible leading down the south side of the mountain. The cairns (hard to follow in places) eventually lead the hiker into a stand of dwarf birches. The trail is rather steep in spots and eventually comes out at the north shore of Tumbledown Pond. The Parker Ridge Trail can be used to complete a nice loop back to the trailhead.

Getting There

From Portland, Maine, take I-95 north to Route 4 in Auburn. Follow route 4 through Auburn, Turner, Livermore Falls, and Jay. Turn left on 156 and follow into Weld Village. At the four way stop in Weld, go straight. Turn left at Webb Corner (large sign). Within about 1/2 mile, a logging road (Byron Road) leaves straight ahead in a 90 degree turn. Approximately 2.7 miles from Webb Corner, a logging road (Morgan Road) leaves Byron Road on the right. This road ends at a small parking area for the Little Jackson Trail.

Red Tape

Byron Notch Road is closed in the winter. The trailhead for Little Jackson is located on private land and camping is prohibited near the trailhead but hikers are welcome. Be sure to yield to logging trucks as they always have the right of way. The entire summit area has recently been conserved through the efforts of many groups, including the Tumbledown Conservation Alliance.

Camping

There are no designated camping areas on the mountain and no camping signs are common along Morgan Road and near the trailhead. A portion of Mount Blue State Park is located on the shore of Webb Lake and camping is available.
Tumbledown PondTumbledown Pond

Mountain Conditions

Little Jackson Mountain rises approximately 2,600 feet from the surrounding valleys and conditions at the summit can vary from those at the trailhead. High winds and low visibility can be dangerous and the upper reaches of the mountain are exposed.