Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.57429°N / 122.65694°W
Additional Information County: Lane
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5960 ft / 1817 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

To peak Bohemia Mountain is a relatively easy task. The great thing about this mountain is the intricacies. Ghost towns and abandoned mine shafts litter this historic site. As you first begin to traverse the area you feel like you have traveled back in time and the pull of the mountain overwhelms you. I suggest not taking the trailhead but instead heading up the face. If you do this in August you will be overcome with wild huckleberries and steep cliffs, an incredible combination. As you make your way up the tiers of the face you will stumble upon several natural and man made caves making the climb well worth while.

Bohemia Mountain is number 51 on the Oregon p2k list. Once this mountain is peaked you will have very nice views of Mt. Shasta in the south on a clear day and north to Mt. Hood.
The far left peak

For those peak seakers this is an easy hike 3/4 of a mile of steep trail can get you there the easy way.

Getting There

From Cottage Grove, take Row River Road east for about 13 miles to Sharps Creek Road and turn right. Continue for 10 miles to the end of the paved section. veer left and continue for 7 miles to Bohemia Saddle. Turn right on the road leading to Bohemia Saddle County Park.

Red Tape

There are no fees for hiking on Bohemia Mountain.

Camping

There are several campgrounds in the immediate area, including Mineral, Lund Park, Cedar Creek, and camping at Bohemia Mountain itself.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
mandrake

mandrake - Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm - Voted 8/10

South Ridge approach

An alternate approach on Bohemia is to take the south ridge up to the summit -- this is probably a more fun option than doing an up & back on the trail. From the mines at Bohemia City, cut up & left to locate an old trail (but still in surprisingly good shape) that traverses up into the saddle between Bohemia and Jackass Butte to the south. The trail eventually ends abruptly in a clearcut (prolly why it was let go). Drop down to the road and continue traversing south until you're just below the south ridge. This was marked with a small cairn in October 2009. Ascend wherever is easiest along the ridge. You may have to cut left a couple of times to get around some tree bands and rock formations. There is some easy scrambling along the way. No difficulties.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1