Kristínartindar

Kristínartindar

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 64.06845°N / 16.92539°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3694 ft / 1126 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Kristínartindar from the south
Kristínartindar from the south. 
 
Kristínartindar from the southeast
Kristínartindar from the southeast.












Overview

Kristínartindar is one of Skaftafell’s most popular mountains, often climbed because of its marvelous view and its location near the Park Visitor Center and campground.   It has the added advantage of not requiring any glacier crossings and being a relatively easy climb (Class 2 in dry conditions).  It is  located  between the glaciers  Skaftafellsjökull and Morsárjökull with excellent view of each and on a good day views on to the ice cap, Vatnajökull along with surrounding mountains including Iceland's highest peak,  Hvannadalshnúkur.


Views

 
Kristínartindar - view NW from the summitNW from summit
 
Kristínartindar - view N from the summitN from summit
 
Kristínartindar - view NE from the summitNE from summit
 
Kristínartindar - view NE from the saddleNE from saddle

 
KristínartindarS from near summit
 
SkeiðarársandurS from near saddle
 
SkaftafellsjokullSE from trail
 
Skaftafell National Park, HvannadalshnjúkurSW from trail


Getting There

 
Skaftafell from Rte 1
S from Route 1

The Skaftafell Visitor Center and camping area is just off Highway 1 (The Ring Road) about 330km west of Reykjavík.  Driving time from Reykjavik is about 4-5 hours depending on conditions, what you are driving, and stops along the way.  The maximum speed limit in Iceland is 90 Km/hr on paved roads and wind is a definite issue if you are in high profile vehicle.  The nearest town to the west is Kirkjubaejarklausir, about 67 Km.  The nearest town to the east is Hofn, about 126 Km.

The Park can also be reached by bus.

The mountain is accessed from the camping area west of the Visitor Center via one of several trail combinations.  Round trip is a little over 16 Km (10 miles).

See the route page for the options.

When to Climb

 
Kristinartindar South Ridge
S Ridge 31 Aug 2013

July and August are the best periods to climb, but even then, expect the possibility of low temperatures, strong winds, precipitation of most any kind.

The following "worst case" conditions are from the main Skftafell page:

Summer travel in the highlands:

-2 ºC (28 ºF), 20 m/s (45 mph) winds, sleet or snow

Summer travel in the high mountains and glaciers:

-10 ºC (14 ºF), 25 m/s (56 mph) winds, snow

Red Tape

There are no fees or permits required as of 2013.  If you are just there for the day, parking is free at the Visitor Center

However, be sure to check at the Visitor Center for current trail conditions and possible closures.  The trails accessing Kristínartinda were closed for a short period in the summer of 2013 because of excessivly soft and muddy conditions.

Camping & Accommodations

There is a large camping area operated by the Park just west of the Visitor Center.

Other accommodations in the area as well as links to accommodations elsewhere in Iceland can be found here:    Tips for accommodation

Maps

 
Kristinartindar area trails
Fairly detailed map

 
Kristinartindar area trails
Schematic map

Two maps that you may find of use. The green cast map has better detail, the brown more trails. If enlarged, both are big enough to print and use.

Maps can also be purchased at the Visitor Center.

External Links

Main Park Homepage  - Follow links to various information

Park description of the route to the peak

Third party description of Kristinartindar










Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Nanuls

Nanuls - Jun 26, 2007 8:23 am - Voted 10/10

Campsite

I would recommend not staying at the official campsite at the Skaftafell Visitors Centre. The site has increadibly poor drainage and when it rains, which it does a lot in Iceland, it tends to get very waterlogged. There is another campsite a little further east along the main road which is on a slight slope meaning it doesn't suffer from this problem. This campsite also has a swimming pool and hot-tubs, which are great after a day in the mountains.

Step - May 25, 2021 1:46 am - Hasn't voted

Paid Parking

Parking is •not• free at Skaftafell (but included in the campsite fee if you stay there). Otherwise, remember to buy a day ticket at the vending machines found in the parking area.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Skaftafell National ParkMountains & Rocks