Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.11200°N / 82.0612°W
Additional Information County: Avery
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5540 ft / 1689 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hill and Vail

Big Yellow Mountain is a broad, grassy bald located in the Roan Highlands, part of the Roan-Unaka mountain region. From the summit on a clear day, one can see much of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Black Mountains and Roan Highlands.

At the crossroads of the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail and the Appalachian Trail lies Yellow Mountain Gap, the site where the heroic Overmountain Men passed through on their way to defeat the British at the Battle of Kings Mountain, which took place on October 7th, 1780 and permanently ended the British presence in the southeastern colonies.

The Overmountain Shelter is nestled in Yellow Mountain Gap. A converted barn, it sleeps some 40 people
and is one of the largest shelters on the Appalachian Trail.

Getting There

Overmountain Shelter

Technically, one should not climb this mountain unless they are permitted to do so by The Nature Conservancy, which operates a 426 acre preserve encompassing the summit.

The Nature Conservancy offers field trips to the preserve.

The Nature Conservancy
Mountains District Coordinator
PO Box 397
Saluda, NC 29773
828.749.1700
828.749.1698 fax
bbockoven@tnc.org

Nature Conservancy Website



However, SPers are not usually the types to take guided picnic tours. So, here are directions for those of you who would rather explore Big Yellow Mountain on your own.

Disclaimer
This page and its creator do not endorse or support any efforts to climb this mountain without Nature Conservancy permission.

Appalachian Trail from Carver’s Gap

Tennessee – From Interstate 26 in Johnson City exit US Highway 321 to Elizabethton. Follow 321 to 19E (in Elizabethton) and turn right. Take 19E southeast to Roan Mountain. Turn right on Highway 143 in Roan Mountain. Follow 143 south to Carvers Gap. A parking lot is located on your right.

North Carolina –
From Asheville take the Blue Ridge Parkway to 226 North (NE of Little Switzerland).
Take 226 to Bakersville and turn north on 261/143. Take 261/143 to Carvers Gap. A parking lot will be on your left.

Bright’s Trace Route – The Overmountain Victory Trail

Tennessee-
From Interstate 26 in Johnson City exit US Highway 321 to Elizabethton. Follow 321 to 19E (in Elizabethton) and turn right. Take 19E southeast through Elk Park, NC. 19E will turn southwest at its junction with 194 just east of Elk Park. Take 19E south to Roaring Creek Road, located just past Beech Bottom.* Turn right on Roaring Creek and follow it to its end. Here you will find an access point to the Overmountain Victory Trail.

Grey Metal Face

North Carolina-
From the town of Newland, take 194 North toward Elk Park. Just before entering Elk Park, turn left (south) on 19E. If you enter Elk Park you have gone too far. Take 19E south to Roaring Creek Road, located just past Beech Bottom. Turn right on Roaring Creek and follow it to its end. Here you will find an access point to the Overmountain Victory Trail.

Hiking Directions for Carver’s Gap
Follow the AT northeast for 4-5 miles until you reach the grassy open area that lies before Little Hump Mountain (36.1247, -82.0288). You will notice a small, grassy ridge rising to your right (SE). Follow the AT to the end of this ridge. Here you will find a footpath that splits off to the right, heading straight for the top of that grassy ridge. Follow it up the ridge. Here the path curves left up the slopes of Big Yellow Mountain directly toward the summit. You will pass through some woods and out into the bald at the top of the mountain. This path is not officially maintained and some bushwhacking may be required.


Hiking Directions for Bright’s Trace
Follow the OVT to its intersection with the Appalachian Trail at Yellow Mountain Gap, which is marked by several signs. Note that the AT is marked with white swatches on posts or trees. Turn right (NE) on the AT and climb until you reach the grassy open area that lies before Little Hump Mountain (36.1247, -82.0288). You will notice a small, grassy ridge rising to your right (SE). Follow the AT to the end of this ridge. Here you will find a footpath that splits off to the right, heading straight for the top of that grassy ridge. Follow it up the ridge. Here the path curves left up the slopes of Big Yellow Mountain directly toward the summit. You will pass through some woods and out into the bald at the top of the mountain. This path is not officially maintained and some bushwhacking may be required.

Big Yellow Topo

Treebeard



External Links

Information about the Overmountain Victory Trail

Yellow Mountain Gap



Camping

Backpackers and hikers can camp at designated spots along the trail. The Overmountain Shelter, a small barn at Yellow Mountain Gap, sleeps 40 and is one of the largest shelters on the Appalachian Trail. The Stan Murray Shelter is located 1.7 miles SW on the AT and sleeps 8.

Camping is also located nearby at:

Roan Mountain State Park
1015 Hwy. 143
Roan Mountain, TN 37687
423.772.0190
www.tnstateparks.com

The wood of Yellow Mountain

Weather

Newland, North Carolina weather forecast.

Red Tape

One should obtain permission to climb this mountain from the Nature Conservancy (see above for information).

Grassy Ridge from Yellow Mountain Gap



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Roan HighlandsMountains & Rocks