Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.50370°N / 121.9757°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 2990 ft / 911 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tiger5


Special Note: This page is specific to the West Tiger Mountain summit and does not include East Tiger, South Tiger or Poo Poo Point.

West Tiger Mountain located just outside Issaquah is known for being a very popular mountain to hike in the region. This mountain in a range of foothills to the Cascades called the Issaquah Alps. The mountain is highly popular because it is located close to Seattle. The mountain has three subsummits of West Tiger #1, West Tiger #2, and West Tiger #3. Out of all of the summits West Tiger #3 is the best destination because it has a great view and a natural setting (Note: West Tiger and Tiger #2 were covered in fog when I was there). This though is changing however because the trees on West Tiger #3 are quickly taking out the view. However West Tiger Mountain #3 is often very crowded even on cloudy days!

The West Tiger Mountain Trail that I took was an easy YDS Class 1 trail that was very different from the New Hampshire Trail in that in consist of actual soil rather than rock steps. It begins out from a set of very easy and gradual gravel trails in the park. The YDS Class 1 West Tiger Trail begins from the park in at a moderate grade and continues up to the summit of West Tiger 3 and at grades varying from gradual to moderates pitchs and never gets close to being step or exposed. There is an alternate trail called the Cable Line which is much steeper but not exposed. It is still easy to go up but can be hard to go down especially in muddy or icy conditions. From there up to West Tiger 2 the trail is a moderate to steeper hike up. On the entire trail up though there little rocks and no steep sections or scrambles on the trail.

View from Tiger 1


From West Tiger #2 there is a dirt road that will lead right to West Tiger #1. The summit of West Tiger #1 is covered with cell phone and microwave towers and is not a good resting point (hint the sign saying do not be in between signs for more than 4.4 minutes). THERE IS ALSO A GATE ON THE WEST WARNING OF NO TRESSPASSING AND AN ALTERNATIVE TRAIL TO AVOID THE WEST TIGER #1 SUMMIT. However there is a small hikers shelter (metal dome) close by in case of inclement weather. This area itself also has a great view off towrds Mount Rainier. I actually found this trail to be much less crowded (probably because of weather) than many eastern hikes in the region. For information on the whole Tiger Mountain area refer to osatrik's Tiger Mountain Page .
Tiger 7

View from Tiger 1

Getting There

Take I-90 east of Seattle to Exit #20. Once off exit 20 make a right and then another right. Head down the dirt road right into the trailhead. Use the maps in the park to direct you to the West Ridge Trail.

Red Tape

New for July 2011: Discovery Pass is now required for this and all Washington State Parks. Here is the link to the site Discovery Pass .
This is a day use park though and the gate close at night


Camping

From what I saw on the front gate camping was prohibited. PM if you know of information that is different.

Weather Conditions

This is likely what the summit conditions will be for West Tiger Mountain.


alt="Click for Snoqualmie Pass, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>


This weather is likely what to expect for mountain trailhead conditions.


alt="Click for Bellevue, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>



Other Links

Here are a number of other links on the internet that are likely to give you more information on this particular mountain.

The best webpage to get information on both current events in the region as well hiking activitis is the Issaquah Alps Trail Club . This trail club has a number of events in this region from setting up hiking events to educating the public on regional environmental issues.

One website with great information on West Tiger Mountain.

Tiger Mountain State Park



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Issaquah AlpsMountains & Rocks
 
Tiger MountainMountains & Rocks