Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.22499°N / 118.06364°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5715 ft / 1742 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Wilson via Stutervant



Mount Wilson is home to the Hooker 100 inch telescope. The historic Mount Wilson Observatory is an astronomical research facility located in the San Gabriel Mountains of Southern California. Located on the summit of Mount Wilson above Pasadena at an altitude of 5715 feet (1742 meters), the observatory is visible from much of the Los Angeles area. Visitors can view the historic Hooker 100-inch telescope from the Visitors' Gallery inside the dome. There is also a small astronomical museum on the observatory grounds. Picnic tables are available at the Pavilion near the main parking lot where a commanding view of the Los Angeles basin is seen on clear days.

Getting There

Mount Wilson



To get to the Mount Wilson Observatory, follow the Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) into the San Gabriel Mountains for 14 miles to Red Box Road; turn right, and go another 5 miles to the Observatory gate. Parking is available in a large lot just beyond the front gate. To access trailheads, please refer to the appropriate route link on the left.

Red Tape

No read tape. Any of the Mount Wilson routes can be hiked without any restrictions. Keep in mind that roads and access trails can be closed due to bad weather and road repairs. Specially, the road to Chantry Flat and more recently the toll road.

Camping

Camping is available in designated areas. Please check with the Forest Service.

Hoegees Camp Information

Idlehour Trail Camp

Spruce Grove Trail Camp


External Links

Mount Wilson Observatory
Webcam
Current Weather


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney - Jun 3, 2022 11:06 am - Hasn't voted

NEW, new webcams

Here is a link to the latest webcam at Mt Wilson. Now with live seismic data added. http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/cameras/S/SD/wilson.html?fbclid=IwAR008uciwyGrKmDjEs5S6UsIQ05XYanLqCNYl4zMNIWW0L1imlVGGuhWYoQ

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.