Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.58080°N / 74.5125°W
Additional Information County: Hamilton
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3597 ft / 1096 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pillsbury is one of the Adirondacks 100 Highest Mountains. The only reason that people climb this montain in the views from the firetower. On clear day's you cans see the High Peaks, Vermont, and all of the Central Adirondacks. The views really are quite inspireing.The trail to the top is short ansd steep.

More pictures to come later


Get this video and more at MySpace.com

Getting There

From Speculator NY:
Travel up Route 30 for 8.1 miles turn left on to Perkins Clearing Roand after passing Mason lake. Perking Clearing is a dirt road and is usually in good condition beacusr of the logging operations in the area. After traveling Perkins Clearing Road for 3.3 miles turn right on to another dirt road that has no offical name but is knows as locally as Slead Harbor Road. Sled Harbor Road is a dirt raod in fair condition but is passible by all cars of all kinds. At 5.2 miles from Rt. 30 turn right on to another dirt road. This road is the worst road of all. Cars with low ground clearence should park at the start of this road. The guide book recomend that only "careful drivers with cars in good operating order" attempt to drive up this road. My Saturn with 5.7 inches of ground clearence made it up this road fine. I only scraped a rock once. Finally at 6.3 miles from Rt. 30 the trailhead it reached. There is parking for 10-15 cars at the end of the road all others should park at the bottom.

Red Tape

DEC Rules and Reg's


Emergencey Numbers besides 911:
Hamilton Co. Sheriff 518-548-6111
Ambulance
Speculator 518-548-5300
Piseco 518-548-3111
Wells 518-924-2354

Camping

It is such a short hike that you won't need to camp but if you really want to there are a few options:

Right at the trail head (Near the outhouse...you'll see what I mean when you go there.)

On the summit...there is a fire pit on top and multipule springs on the way up.

There are many sites along Perkins Clearing Road some right on Mason Lake (First come serve)

The nearest state campground is Lewey Lake Campground ($16 fee. About 4 miles north of Perkins Clearing Road

When to Climb and Current Conditions

Current Conditions



alt="Click for Indian Lake, New York Forecast" height=60 width=468>




When to Climb


The best times to climb fall in Summer and Fall. For a few reasons:
1) The aproach roads should be passable by all cars.
2) Late Summer and fall bring fewer bugs and people and fall colors.

Winter


Perkins Clearing Road and all the other aproach roads are closed in winter and early spring (usually December to May.) The round trip from perkins clearing road to the summit and back is just over 15 miles in winter.