Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.23800°N / 82.458°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 3149 ft / 960 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Birch Knob is not a tall peak, if fact its not much more than a bump on Pine Mountain. (Pine Mountain is another long mountain ridge trending NNE to SSW. From the Russell Fork River at Elkhorn City, Kentucky, it sits astride the Va/Ky state line to the Cumberland Gap. From there it continues to Little Cumberland Mountain NNW of Knoxville Tennessee, a distance of approximately 120 miles. Cresting on Birch Knob at 3149', it is 2500' shorter than the tallest peaks in the state, the Grayson Highlands.) Interest in this mountain comes from the fact it is the Dickenson county (Va) and Pike county (Ky) highpoint. A lessor know fact is the mountain lies midway on the Pine Mountain trail. This is a long distance trail envisioned as a trail to connect the Breaks Interstate Park (Va/Ky) with the Cumberland Gap National Historic Park (Va/Tenn/Ky). Close to 40 miles of this proposed 120 mile trail have been completed. This trail will allow outdoorsmen to do a multiday hike without having to travel to the Appalachian, Cumberland (Tn) or Allegheny(WVa) trails.

When I hiked the trail I found to be a great hike (except for a rough a 6 mile stretch over private land between the Doubles and the FS 616) There are arches, windows, cliffs, and great views.

Getting There

From Clintwood, Va travel north on CR 631. Fork right on CR 611(South of the Mountain Rd), then becomes FS 616 to the Birch Knob parking area. Or take the Pine Mountain trail; 12.2 miles from Pound Gap/US 23 or 16 miles from Elkhorn City (Ky). The Pine Mt trail guide can be ordered from the Pine Mountain Trail Conference or through the USFS.

Red Tape

The tower is on Jefferson NF land

Camping

Camp at Mullins Pond (on CR 611, where Pine Mt trail come to road) or other sites (see trail guide).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.