Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.36822°N / 111.3658°W
Additional Information County: Gallatin
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 11015 ft / 3357 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gallatin peak is the highest mountain in the Spanish Peaks and is visable from all over the Gallatin Valley. While many backcountry skiers have long visited Gallatin Peak in winter to ski it's many couloirs, mostly located on the north face, it also makes an invigorating summer day climb. If you want a more liesurly pace, there are many lakes and streams that offer great camp spots and it is certainly a nice place to spend a few days.

 

Getting There

Goats near the Top You might run into Goats, like I did near the top.

There are several accesses to Gallatin Peak, all of them are a bit of a hike. All accesses are via Gallatin Canyon. You can go in up the South Fork of Spanish Creek from the Spanish Creek Trailhead: Turn right just after you enter the canyon, cross Ted Turner's ranch, follow the signs. Or you can go in by the Indian Ridge trail, across from Squaw Creek a little further up the canyon. Or Hell Roarin' yet a bit further on. I think the quickest way is from the North Fork trailhead, located a couple miles past Lone Mountain Guest Ranch, past Meadow Village at Big Sky. There is a good trail (#16) about 6 miles up into Bear Basin. At the head of Bear Basin you turn right (East) on trail #189 up over the Bear Basin/Hell Roarin' divide. You can follow the trail to Hell Roarin' Crk, then climb back up to the base of the mountain, or you can find your way down before decending all the way to the creek.

 

Red Tape

No red tape. By the way, this peak is suitable for Dogs via the easiest route (South Face)

 

Camping

Duh, camp anywhere. If it's a real dry summer there may be fire regulations in effect. You are in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness area, so wilderness regs apply (don't bring your chain saw).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Clubbox42

Clubbox42 - Nov 2, 2016 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Lat./Long.

The latitude and longitude for this peak place it in the flats of southeastern Mongolia, which I think may be slightly off.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.