Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.90870°N / 107.4804°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13795 ft / 4205 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 13,795 is the 109th highest point in Colorado. This makes it a Bi-Centennial, one of Colorado's 200 highest.
PT 13,795
PT 13,795 (far center point in picture below) as viewed from the summit of Handies Peak. PT 13,795 is tied with Arkansas Mountain in elevation. It can be climbed in conjunction with Handies Peak as a long ridge walk, ticking off a few other un-official 13er points along the way.
Ridge to PT 13,795
In my opinion, it is definitely worthy of a climb in and of itself. Either way, it is an impressive looking peak that you will see as you emerge from treeline on the main route on Handies Peak from Grizzly Gulch, which you can see as the point in the far left of the picture below.
PT 13,795 far left

Getting There

In Lake City begin measuring from the bridge crossing Henson Creek, heading south. Go 2.2 miles to the Lake San Cristobal Road and turn right. Go past the beautiful lake and up the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River. Continue to mile 14.3 where the road forks and a take the right fork up Cinnamon Pass Road. At mile 18.3 you will see the large parking lot at the Silver Creek - Grizzly Gulch Trailhead. An alternate way to reach the trailheads is from Silverton. Measuring from Silverton's north end, follow Hwy110 for 12.3 miles to Animas Forks, climb steeply east to reach Cinnamon Pass at 15.3 miles, cross the pass and descend on its east side to reach the Silver Creek- Grizzly Gulch Trailhead after 21.1 miles. A 4 WD is required for this approach.
There is ample parking available at the Grizzly Gulch trailhead. The trailhead also has toilet facilities.
(source kilimanjaro1 from his excellent & accurate Handies Peak page.)

Camping

There is ample camping space at the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch trailhead. Be warned that during the peak summer climbing season, this is a heavily used area due to Sunshine & Redcloud peaks are accessed via Silver Creek Trailhead, as well as Handies Peak via Grizzly Gulch trailhead, so plan your trip accordingly.

Mountain Conditions

Lightning Safety - Use common sense. If there are dark clouds forming, pay attention to this. If you can hear the thunder, you can be struck. If you are heading up the trail and everyone else is heading down, TURN AROUND! The summit is not worth your life, come back a different day weather is better. The mountain will always be there the next time you're there.

For more information, Lightningtalks

External Links

TopoZone topographical map


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks