Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.12695°N / 116.88193°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10680 ft / 3255 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shields Peak is located in the San Gorgonio Wilderness at the western end of the San Bernardino Mountains. It is the fourth peak of nine in the popular San Bernardino Mountain Traverse culminating with San Gorgonio, Southern California's tallest peak at 11,502. All nine peaks are in excess of 10,000 feet in elevation. The traverse, the largest subalpine wilderness area south of the Sierra Nevada is typically completed in a multi-day backpacking trip. Many of the peaks can also be accessed via day hikes.

Shields is located near the midpoint of the high country traverse. It requires a brief off trail approach and easy class 2 talus scramble over a short ridge before you reach the summit. On a clear day views are exceptional with the north side of San Gorgonio Peak to the southeast and Big Bear Lake to the north. Many other prominent peaks are also visible including Jepson and Anderson. Other than summer, the western end of the traverse is less traveled so you have a greater sense of remoteness and solitude.

Surveyor Don McLain named the peak after Lelia Shields the 1920's manager of Camp Radford.    

Shields Peak
Approach to talus summit of Shields Peak

Getting There

For both trailheads take Interstate 10 to the city of Redlands exiting Orange Street and heading north for approximately 1/2 mile. Turn right on E Lugonia Ave, Highway 38. Lugonia becomes Mentone Blvd in the City of Mentone and then Mill Creek Road and eventually State Highway 38

Forsee Creek Trail

You will travel approximately 19 miles east on Hwy 38 through Angelus Oaks and continuing on another 7 miles. Make a right onto Jenks Lake Road and continue another 1/3rd mile making another right at the fork. Look for the "Forsee Creek Trail" sign. Follow the dirt road approximately 1/2 mile to the trailhead. Drive with caution in low clearance vehicles as the road can have long deep ruts.

The Forsee Creek Trailhead (1E06) starting elevation is 6720. Follow the trail approximately 1/3rd mile taking the left fork towards Jackstraw Springs. You will reach the turn off for Jackstraw in four miles at an elevation of 9200. Stay to the left taking "Trail Fork Springs" for approximately 2 1/2 miles to the San Bernardino Peak Trail. En route you will come to a trail juncture with multiple signs posted on a tree. Take the "Dollar Lake Saddle" fork. Once you have reached the San Bernardino Peak Trail turn right heading east. Follow the trail approximately 1/2 mile as the peak comes into sight. Leave the trail for a short approach.

The trail is predominately a long series of switchbacks to the San Bernardino Peak Trail. Much of the early trail is covered with Jeffrey Pines, Cedars, White Furs and Oaks eventually becoming Lodgepole pines at the higher elevations. The trail also crosses Little Stetson creek which can have water late into the summer.

Momyer Creek Trail

You will travel approximately 13 miles east on Hwy 38 to the Valley of the Falls Road. Turn right heading towards Forest Falls. At 2 3/4 miles turn left into the large parking lot just below the fire station.

The Momyer Creek Trailhead starting elevation is 5500. The trail will take you northward and across Mill Creek. Each winter the trail washes out so you will have to spend time trail finding on the other side. Once you have picked up the trail proceed 2 1/2 miles to a fork. You turn left (1E06) up a steep switchback trail for 4 miles. When you top out on the ridge turn right on the San Bernardino Peak Trail. Follow it for approximately 1.5 miles. The trail will contour around the north base of Anderson Peak eventually reaching the flat ridge area again and then onto Shields. You may see some trail signs along the way follow the ones indicating Dollar Lake Saddle. As the peak comes into sight leave the trail for a short approach.

Charlton, Jepson and San Gorgonio
View of Charlton (foreground left), Jepson (right) and San Gorgonio Peaks (rear left) from the summit of Shields Peak

Red Tape

There are two requirements to access this peak:

1.) You must have a National Forest Adventure Pass for any vehicle parked at the Momyer trailhead. Fees are $5.00 a day or $30.00 for an annual pass. They can be purchased at any ranger station or select local merchants.  A pass is no longer required for the Forsee trailhead.

2.) You must also obtain a free permit to enter the San Gorgonio Wilderness Area. This applies to both single and multi-day entries. Permits can be obtained at the Mill Creek Ranger Station located in Mentone, 34701 Mill Creek Road. Phone number: 909-382-2882 .

A supply of self issued permits is left out each night at the Mill Creek Ranger Station but the popular trailheads go quickly. You can also request a permit up to three months in advance via fax at (909) 794-1125.

Big Bear Lake
View North of Big Bear Lake from Shields Peak

When to Climb and Weather

The San Gorgonio Wilderness Area can be enjoyed year round. The summertime is the most popular season. Winter approaches should include crampons and ice axe as appropriate.

National Weather Service Forecast and current conditions for the San Gorgonio Wilderness Area

Camping

There are four camping sites within close Proximity to Shields Peak.

Trail Fork Springs and Anderson Flat are to the west and within a mile and Shields Flat and High Meadow Springs lie to the east within one mile.

Trail Fork Springs Camp - Elevation 10,400 Water is located about 100 yards southwest of the camp at the spring which can look dry, but if you go into the bushes you'll usually see a pipe with water still flowing out of it.

Anderson Flat Camp - Elevation 10,500 No Water

Shields Flat - Elevation 10,400 No Water

High Meadow Spring - Elevation 10,300 Preferred water source

External Links

San Gorgonio Wilderness Association

A great resource for trail information, current trail conditions, weather and education:

San Gorgonio Wilderness Association

San Gorgonio Wilderness Association - Backcountry Bulletin Board

Ask your San Gorgonio Wilderness questions here

San Bernardino National Forest

San Gorgonio Wilderness Trail Information



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.