Wheeler Peak (Spring Mountains)

Wheeler Peak (Spring Mountains)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.42160°N / 115.8105°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9167 ft / 2794 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wheeler Peak
This IS NOT Wheeler Peak in the Great Basin National Park. Wheeler Peak is located on the NW side of the community of Cold Creek, NV. It is on the north side of Wheeler Pass. Willow Peak is the summit on the south side of Wheeler Pass. This is not very popular since there are many more bigger peaks in the Spring Mountains. It's prominence is 1,485 feet. To hike this peak one must get to the summit of Wheeler Pass and hike up the long ridge before going at a good angle the last part to the summit.

Getting There

Wheeler Pass GPS Traceaccess from Cold Creek
There are 2 ways to get to the summit of Wheeler Pass.

1. Take HWY 95 North From Las Vegas past HWY 157 (Mt. Charleston turnoff) and then again past Lee Canyon Turnoff (HWY 156). The next road on the left, highly visible with prison complexes, is your turn off. Turn left here and drive about 15-20 miles to the community of Cold Creek. You will likely see many wild horses as you get close to Cold Creek. There will be a sign to turn right for Wheeler Pass. Right after this right turn there is a left very shortly after. Follow this road west and with a little trial and error you should eventually follow the route to Wheeler pass, visibly seen between Willow Peak and Wheeler Peak. The last 2 miles to the pass gets very bad and a 4X4 is definitely required!

Wheeler Peak GPS TraceRoute


2. Take I-15 south to HWY 160. Take HWY 160 towards Pahrump. Once you get to Pahrump turn right (east) onto Wheeler Pass Road and follow it to the summit of Wheeler Pass. There are many unoffical routes and tracks entering and leaving Wheeler Pass Road, so try to stay on the main road. There is no sign and no official trailhead at the summit of Wheeler Pass.

(Though this route is further from Las Vegas, it is easier and more straight forward than trying to find the route through Cold Creek). A high clearance vehicle is highly recommended. 4X4 even better.

Red Tape

No permits are needed to hike Wheeler.

Route

Once you park at Wheeler Pass hike initially you will hike west until you gain the main ridge. Then you will start hiking North, Northwest along the ridge.

Starting elevation is around 7740 feet at the pass. Once you get on the ridge follow it until you have the nice incline the last part to the summit. It's about 2.76 miles and about 1425 feet elevation gain.

Here are details of this route.

[img:289875:alignleft:medium:Route]

Weather for Cold Creek, NV


External Links

  • trip report SP Member MoapaPK's trip to Wheeler Peak.



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.