Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.43030°N / 109.6219°W
Additional Information County: Fremont
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11157 ft / 3401 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak’s eye-catching name came from a cache of alcohol on its slopes during the times that the Rendezvous occurred in the area. It is now famous for being the home of the largest wintering Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep herd in North America.

Located at the extreme northeast end of the Wind River Range, it is isolated from the high granite peaks at the core of the range. Goat Flat, Downs Mountain, and Ram Flat make up the Wind River skyline, and all of these mountains are broad alpine plateaus. Perhaps the most rewarding views are of the high Absaroka crest to the north.

During the fall and winter, the big horn sheep herds that spend the summer elsewhere in the range converge on the slopes of this mountain.

See the Wind River Bighorn Sheep album.


This side of the Wind Rivers is drier than the Bridger Wilderness side, with a more desert-like approach from the base. This is one reason why the bighorn sheep winter here, as the grasses are more readily available on the wind-swept ridges with less snow.

Whiskey Bighorn HerdBighorn sheep on the western slopes of Whiskey Mountain.


Getting There

East Ridge
Mountain LocationArea Relief Map
At the northwest end of the Wind River Range, the major entrance point is at the Trail Lake Ranch trailhead. It is accessible just a few miles to the east of Dubois, Wyoming, on US-26.

The mountain is flanked on the north and south by trails. The Whiskey Creek Trail is on the north, and the Whiskey Mountain Trail is on the south. The Whiskey Mountain Trail passes just to the west of the summit, making this peak Class 1.

The Whiskey Mountain Trail from the Trail Lake Ranch trailhead to the summit is about 4 miles one way and 3,800 feet of vertical ascent.

Google Maps driving directions from Dubois, WY.

The mountain and route are located in the Torrey Lake Quadrangle

Red Tape

Ram FlatRam Flat and the Ross Lake Basin.
Most of the mountain is located in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness of Shoshone National Forest.

Wind River Ranger District
1403 West Ramshorn
Dubois, WY 82513
(307) 455-2466

Mountain Conditions

NOAA Point Forecast

Call the Wind River Ranger District in Dubois, WY at 307 455-2466.

You can contact the National Bighorn Sheep Interpretative Center at 888-209-2795 or 307-455-3429.

External Links

National Bighorn Sheep Interpretive Center
On Top of Old Whiskey - New York Times, Dec. 22, 1996


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.