Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.30232°N / 122.00375°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4378 ft / 1334 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huckleberry Mountain is a mostly-forested peak situated between Portland and Mount Hood. Like most other peaks in the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness, it is characterized as a somewhat north-south ridge that was probably part of a larger volcano that has since been eroded and cut by weather and the many streams and rivers in this area. Similar peaks here include Salmon Butte, Devils Peak and Hunchback Mountain. These mountains all have somewhat similar heights, some connecting ridges and similar kinds of trails usually involving a steep switchbacked start followed by a long ridge walk to attain the summit.

I know what you are thinking. Most people tend to think this mountain was named for the line from the movie Tombstone that was uttered by Val Kilmer or possibly for this guy or this other one. But no, the reason it was named is most likely evident in the first hour or so of this hike as you walk the berry-lined trail.

So, why hike this one? Well, it's got great views of Mount Hood, the aformentioned peaks as well as nearby Zig Zag Mountain but it also has a view on clear days that extends all the way to Marys Peak in the Coast Range. You also get a nice workout with over 3100 feet of elevation gain all within less than an hours drive from Portland. That's closer than most Gorge hikes plus there are at least three different ways to get to the summit. There is the Boulder Ridge Trail that starts from just off Highway 26 at the Wildwood Recreation Site, the Bonanza Trail that joins from the east and goes past an abandoned mine that can be explored, and there is the trail from McIntyre Ridge on Wildcat Mountain that joins from the east. Also, the first two hikes mentioned start at about 1200 feet from roads that are plowed in winter so this can be done year-round. Each of these is a great workout in a scenic area close to Portland.

Getting There

Huckleberry Mountain is the one on the horizon in the sun in the above photo by Karl Helser.

For the Boulder Ridge Trailhead, drive east from Portland on Highway 26 past Sandy about 15 miles to a large brown sign on the right for the Wildwood Recreation Site. It is gated at sunset and locked in winter and if so, you can still park here and hike in half a mile to the trailhead. If it is open, drive in and take lefts until you get to the large restroom by the parking lot. Trailhead is to the left of the restroom.

For the Bonanza Trail, you would continue on Highway 26 east another mile from the Wildwood Receration Site to thje stoplight in Wemme, OR. Go right on Welches Road 1.3 miles, go left at the fork, go another .7 miles to a junction and go straight past the One Lane Bridge sign. Cross a bridge, take the second gravel road on the left and follow East Grove Lane a few hundred yards to a fork. The road ahead is the start of the trail but you can not park there, you need to drive back to a spot on the far side of the bridge or on the side of Welches Road to park.

Directions for the Wildcat Mountain Trailhead will be forthcoming on another mountain page.

Red Tape

Wildwood Recreation Site requires a $3 day use fee and boxes are posted in the parking lot to self-pay.

Camping

Camping is generally not done when doing this peak as it would be a dayhike. To find a nearby campground though, please see this site.

Mountain Conditions

Bureau of Land Management - Salem District
(503) 375-5646

Wildwood Recreation Site
(503) 239-1820

Mt. Hood National Forest Weather Forecast









Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.