Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12359°N / 73.856°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4515 ft / 1376 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

For an Adirondack peak to be considerd its own, the following criteria must be kept.

Each peak must be at least .75 miles from the nearest higher summit and have 300 feet of rise on all sides.

Pyramid falls short of this by .45 mile and 79 feet.

Pyramid is considered a sub-peak of Gothics and is not included in the 46'er list, but it is named and the views from Pyramid rival the best in all the Adirondacks. Also the views are different from those of Gothics. Almost all of the Great Range can be seen from it's summit as well as many slides on the surrounding peaks.

AdirondacksPyramid with Gothics from Haystack,Giant in distance


When viewed from Gothics and other peaks, Pyramid takes on a distinct and from some angles, a very sharp prominence.

Pyramid is located .3 mile southeast of Gothics on the Pyramid / Gothics trail which runs from the summit of Gothics to the summit of Sawteeth.

Great Range, AdirondacksLooking at the Great Range from Pyramid. Click on picture for the names of these peaks.
Pyramid PeakLooking south from Pyramid with Upper Ausable Lake in the distance

Trails & access to Pyramid

There are 2 major trailheads and many trail variations one can take to reach Pyramid. Most trips in this area are over night as you will be far from any roads when on top of Pyramid and the trails are rugged.

Here are just a few trail options to get to Pyramid. I highly recommend a copy of the book/map, High Peaks Region by the Adirondack Mountain Club.

Trailheads:
St. Huberts Parking area/trailhead.

From St. Huberts, take the West River Trail for 3.8 mi. to the Alfred W. Weld trail for 1.7 mi. to the Pyramid-Gothics Trail for .6 mi.
Total mileage from trailhead:6.1 (one way)
Elevation gain:3135 (one way)

The Garden parking area/trailhead. (town of Keene off of Rt. 73 approx 12 miles from 87) $5 to park.

From the Garden, take the Phelps Trail for 3.1 mi. to the Ore Brook Trail for 3.1 mi. to the ADK Range Trail for.6 mi. (summit of Gothics) to the Pyramid-Gothics Trail for .3 mi.

Total mileage from trailhead: 6.9 (one way)


Elevation gain: 3200 (one way)

Red Tape

-Anyone staying overnight in the High Peaks area must fill out a self issuing trip permit available at all trail registers. One copy must be kept for rangers inspection at any time. Without this ticket a ranger can and will send you home.

-Bear canisters are a requirement from april 1 to November 30 and you may be turned back by a ranger if you do not have one. for more info see the ADK Mountain Club Website

Camping

-No camping above 4000 feet.

-Any camping above 3500 feet at approved sites only. (currently Sno-Bird & Lake Arnold)

-No camping within 150 feet of any stream or water source.

-No soap or washing within 150 feet of water.

-Pack it in, Pack it out.

-Camping groups are limited to a party of 8



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.