McGregor Mountain/McGregor Slab

McGregor Mountain/McGregor Slab

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.41364°N / 105.57697°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10486 ft / 3196 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Description

McGregor Slab is a beautifully textured, south facing, multi-pitch, 700’ granite monolith that offers fantastic moderate climbing with an astounding view of the wonders of Rocky Mountain National Park. The formation is home to several moderate multi-pitch trad routes, some of which are 5-6 pitches in length. The routes are slabby but the rock is highly featured with flakes, crack systems (finger to off-width), jugs, dihedrals, crimpers, etc. Some of the routes are difficult to decipher from the ground. Fortunately the climbing is easy enough that venturing off route will simply put you on something similar in grade. From the vast summit, you can easily descend by walking off. If you do plan on rappelling from the top, 2 ropes are necessary.


Quadrangle: Estes Park

Getting There

From Downtown Estes Park, follow the signs to Fall River Rd (HWY 34). This road is also the North Entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. After driving approximately 5 miles, you’ll see The Gateway, Fall River Road Visitor Center on the left side of the road. Look across the street and you’ll see the formation. Hike up and through the campground on an established climbers trail that switchbacks several times before reaching the base. Spy a line and climb.

Camping Lodging

Camping is available in Rocky Mountain National Park. Information on camp and the Park can be obtained here: RMNP Camping
On the mountain, lodging is also available: McGregor Mountain Lodge
Accommodations ranging from camping to elegant Bed and Breakfasts are abundant in the Estes Park area. There are far too many to list here. A simple Google search for Estes Park Lodging will get you all of the information you need.

Weather


Weather Forecasts | Weather Maps | Weather Radar

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
jwproulx

jwproulx - Oct 27, 2006 5:49 pm - Hasn't voted

coordinates

Here are more accurate coordinates for McGregor. The first one is the summit; the second, I believe, the slab. 40.41364N, 105.57697W or 40.40975N, 105.58485W Corresponding topozone URL's: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.41364&lon=-105.57697&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG or http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.40975&lon=-105.58485&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG (The topozone link now listed put's McGregor just outside of Lyons ... the coordinates put it in China.) Thanks for the page - I couldn't recall what one of the photos in the windows of Neptune Mountaineering showed the last few times I was down at the Southern Sun. Mystery solved.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Oct 27, 2006 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

CHINA!!!

AHAHAHAHA. Will fix it now. Thanks. Well, I tried to fix it but I'm still in China. I input W on the longitude and it keeps reverting back to E. Any suggestions?

brenta

brenta - Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: CHINA!!!

You have to enter a negative longitude for the western emisphere; W or E are ignored.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Oct 27, 2006 7:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Estes Park, China

That worked. Thank you both. :-)

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Oct 28, 2006 3:00 am - Hasn't voted

Dark Mountain???

I don't understand why you think that Dark Mountain would be the "parent mountain" ??? Dark Mountain is on the north side of the Black Canyon Drainage with over a thousand feet of elevation loss/gain and three quarters of a mile separating it from MacGregor Mountain. I think the Rocky Mountain National Park Page would be an appropriate parent.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Oct 30, 2006 8:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dark Mountain???

Hi Jim. I got my information here: http://www.climb.mountains.com/Project_Island_files/CO_Range_RMNP_Area.htm scroll to # 101

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Oct 31, 2006 2:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dark Mountain???

Thanks. I think it might work for Gerry's purposes, but on SP, "Parent" has a different meaning. I think people might be confused by the reference to Dark Mountain, especially since Dark Mountain doesn't have a page on SP, yet. Dark Mtn.doesn't get climbed very often. I know several people who hike in The Park a lot, and none of them have done Dark Mtn. I've done it a couple of times, but wouldn't recommend it unless you're trying to do all the named summits in The Park. I guess I'd just recommend deleting the reference to Dark Mountain.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Oct 31, 2006 2:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dark Mountain???

Good point Jim. Yeah, giving the reference to "Parent" on SP, it doesn't fit. I will delete the reference. Thanks for the input.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8