Monte Capanne

Monte Capanne

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77046°N / 10.17162°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3340 ft / 1018 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rising to over 3200 ft., Monte Capanne is the tallest mountain on the Italian island of Elba. The top can be reached by foot or by cable car (cable car is a euphemism, as the "cars" are really giant bird cages of questionable safety).

Bird Cages


The trail to the top is about 8 miles and should take about 6 hours.

Please feel free to add info or pictures.

View from Summit #2
View on Way Up Mt. Capanne

Getting There

Monte Capanne can be reached from the town of Marciana, which is located on the Western end of Elba. There are many buses that travel around the island. Tickets are very cheap.
Monte Capanne


Elba can be reached by ferry from Piombino Porto on the coast of Tuscany south of Livorno, to Porto Azzurro or Portoferraio . The ferry takes about 50 minutes.

There are two Ferry operators: Toremar (tel. 199-123-1990, or 565-31-100 in Piombino, 0565-918-080 in Portoferraio; www.toremar.it).
Ferry to Elba


Piombino has direct train access from Florence and Rome.

Red Tape

The cost for the Birdcage cable cars is the only restriction
View From Summit

Camping

Camping is not permitted.

External Links

http://www.virtualelba.it/elba-island/itinerari/capanne.htm

History

Napoleon...need we say more.
Summit - Mt. Capanne


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.