Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.87469°N / 9.06475°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10361 ft / 3158 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hausstock is the dominant mountain overlooking the Ski Village of Elm. It sits at the end of a side valley in Kanton Glarus. Despite being visible from the village below, it is still a long mountain to approach. It is a 1900m climb from the end of the valley to the summit, and is also a long climb by the normal route since you must normally ascend a side valley to the Panixer pass and then traverse around Chalchhorn to approach the mountain itself.

It can be climbed most times in the year, though once it starts snowing it's best to for a good base and then to ascend on skis. The valley approach from Elm is at high risk of avalanche in winter because of the steep cliffs, so it's best to pick a day with low avalanche risk. Bulletins are avaliable by the Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research. An alternative is to approach from the Graubunden side of the Panixerpass starting in the village of Pignu.

Hausstock 3158mHausstock 3158m


Getting There

From Elm:

By Car: Drive through Glarus and out the other side. About 3km after Glarus is a turn into the Sernf valley, marked with a sign for Elm. Follow the vally to the Panzer firing range at the end. There is a parking area marked "Instructors" where it is possible to leave the car.

By Public Transport: Take the train to Schwanden. There, switch to the Sportbahn (bus) to Elm, which takes you to the bottom of the Elm ski lift. Walk from there.

Walk past the Panzer range into the narrow side valley to the south, not in the direction of Hausstock itself, which would be through the firing range. The valley circles around and up to the mountain.

From Pignu:


By Car: Drive past Chur and turn up the valley in the direction of Flims/Laax and the Oberalp pass. Continue past Flims/Laax until the village of Rueun. Turn right there and continue up the valley to Pigniu. Stop in Pigniu and do not continue to the dam at the end of the road.

By Public Transport: Take the regional train from Chur to the village of Rueun. There switch to the bus to Pigniu.

The trail begins shortly after the village and climbs the ridge above the lake.

When to Climb

In Summer and Fall the mountain is climbable as a mixed rock and ice route. There is a Firn at the base of the mountain which must be crossed, so axes and crampons are necessary.

In Winter and Spring the mountain makes an incredible ski tour. Long and varied with a rewarding view from the summit.

Places to Stay

From either side, the Panixerpasshütte is available midway to the summit at 2407m. The hut has 14 beds, but is not manned and has no cooking facilities. It is best to call to see if the hut is usable (+41 55 642 60 67).

Books & Map

Guidebook Summer:
Alpinführer Glarner Alpen
Author: Peter Straub

Guidebook winter / ski tour:
Skitouren Graubünden
Vital Eggenberger

Map Search - Online Maps

Online Map Swissmap

External Links

Switzerland Tourism: www.myswitzerland.com

Glarus tourism: www.glarusnet.ch

Canton Glarus homepage: www.glarus.ch

Good and favorable accommodations: www.rooms.ch

Panixerpass Hut

Webcam in Elm pointed towards Hausstock.

Weather, climate and snow conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research Davos: www.slf.ch

Historical Note

The Panixerpass below the Hausstock is famos for having been crossed by the Russian Generalissimo Alexander Suvorov with his entire army including cannons while fleeing Napoleon in 1799. There is a Plaque on the Panixerpasshütte commemerating the event (pictured below).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Glarus AlpsMountains & Rocks