Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 58.31900°N / 134.408°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3576 ft / 1090 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Juneau provides a dramatic backdrop to Alaska's capital city. Rising over 3,500 feet above the Gastineau Channel, Mount Juneau provides any outdoor adventurist with a quick escape from the hustle and bustle of the cruise ship culture of Juneau. Mount Juneau's slopes are steep and heavily vegitated, and heavy avalanche danger can persist on the mountain well into Spring. Though not technical, climbing Mount Juneau is certainly a leg burner.

Climbing Mount Juneau provides one with a dramatic transition into the alpine environment from the coastal forests of lower elevation. If you are lucky, you may even find yourself on the summit of Mount Juneau on a clear day, which will provide excellent views of the Mendenhall Glacier, Gastineau Channel, the Chilkats and the ranges nearest to the Juneau Icefield.

Confused by the millvans at the summit? In the 1970's a plan to build a tramway part-way up Mount Juneau fell through, but the evidence remains. A tramway was later built on neighboring Mount Roberts.

Mount Juneau summitSummit of Mount Juneau.

Getting There

To access the trail Mount Juneau from downtown Juneau, you must first access the well known Perseverance Trail. To get there, take Gold Street to Basin Road and follow it to the end.

Mt. JuneauMount Juneau from Juneau.



Routes Overview

Mount Juneau Trail

Most people access Mount Juneau from the steep Mount Juneau Trail. This trail branches off to the left/north of the Perseverance Trail about a mile from the trailhead. The Mount Juneau Trail then climbs very steeply for two miles to the summit.

Keep a lookout for hoary marmots, spruce grouse, and wild flowers. Avalanche danger may persist until late spring, and large snow banks may be present on the steep sections of this trail.

See the route page for more details and for the map.

Tricky crossingCrossing a creek on the Mt Juneau Trail.


Other Routes

Other routes are seldom done, but in late Spring, there are said to be some really good couloir routes on the mountain. These couloirs are highly visible from Juneau itself.

Red Tape

There is no red tape here, so please use LNT principles.

Mount Juneau SummitThere is no red tape. This is the rusty millvan on the summit.

When To Climb

Mid-June through mid-September is the normal hiking season. With easy access, winter ascents would be reasonable as well, though there will be avalanche danger on the highest slopes.

June can be a really nice time to climb since it’s the sunniest summer month, though there tends to be more snow around. July is excellent too while August and September are wetter and cloudier. Fall and winter tend to be quite wet.

Winters are much milder here than in interior Alaska.

View from Mount JuneauA July view of looking towards Mount Roberts from the summit of Mount Juneau.

Camping

Campgrounds

There are campgrounds north of Juneau at Auke Villages and Mendenhall Glacier. This is a very wet area, so go prepared for rain!

Backcountry Camping

Permits are not needed to camp in the Tongass National Forest, but do not expect to find suitable topography for camping until you reach the summit.

Mountain Conditions

Weather Forecast for Mount Juneau

Below is the National Weather Service Climate Summary of Juneau. The data is from 1949-2012. This is the closest long term weather station, but be aware that higher elevations will be wetter and colder. Juneau is close sea level, so expect the temperatures on these mountains to be 10-15 degrees colder than in Juneau.


MONTHAVE HIGHAVE LOWREC HIGHREC LOWAVE PREC (in)
JAN312256-206.17
FEB3627 57-97.13
MAR392958-46.07
APR483472126.26
MAY564180286.34
JUN644787324.04
JUL665186416.24
AUG645088347.76
SEP5846762810.36
OCT4939731613.12
NOV403260-79.69
DEC352658-229.13


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.