Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.72810°N / 70.3421°W
Additional Information County: Franklin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3187 ft / 971 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Mt. Blue

The 3,187 foot Mt. Blue lies nestled in the rolling mountains and hills of western central Maine. When entering into the towns of New Sharon and Farmington, Mt. Blue dominates the horizon. Looking virtually the same from many directions, Mt. Blue is a nice looking hill. The mountain is located within Mt. Blue State park, where year round recreation is available to all those who wish to enjoy it. The trail starts off steep, and won't really flatten out at any point. About 0.9m from the trail head you will come to an abandoned Wardens cabin. It's rather spacious and in the winter could possibly be a nice little place to set up a campsite. You will continue up the trail until it narrows and becomes rocky. You will pass a scenic out look on your right. The summit is the next stop. From all sides, spectacular views can be had, if your standing at the right place. The summit is mostly wooded, with a few scenic out crops. If you are the adventurous type, climb the old fire tower; if you manage to fight your way up the old beams, you can get glimps of the big mountains north, Mt. Abraham 4,049' and Saddleback 4,120'. There is also some technology at the top of the mountain, there is a helicopter pad, as well as a building with solar panels if I remeber right. If you take the scenic lookout about 500 yards down the trail from the summit, you can see even more of the Webb Lake area. The mountains that surround Webb Lake are as follows: Tumbledown Mountain, 3,068', Little Jackson Mountain, 3,470', Big Jackson Mountain 3,500'(not 100% sure, I'll find out), Bald Mountain, 2386', Saddleback Wind, 2,400. Any Mountain that has an area High School named after it, is worth a hike.

Getting There

From Portland take highway 95 until you have to merge towards I-95 N, towards Lewiston/Augusta. Take exit 75 and follow ME rt. 4 until you reach the junction with US rt. 2, ME-17. Follow rt. 2 until you reach a junction with ME-142. turn left here, and follow this road until you get into Weld. When you come to a stop sign located next to the Weld General Store, take a right onto Bypass road. This Road eventually turns into the Center Hill road, and will lead you to the trail head. Portions are unpaved.

Red Tape

Mt. Blue is a relativly harmless Mountain any time of year. However you should take precaution before attempting any hike. For late fall, winter, and early spring hiking, be prepared to walk an extra two long miles down the park access road from the Center Hill parking lot; in winter this road is closed and gated so you can't drive to the Mt. Blue Trail Head. The last section of the trail is rather rocky so in winter prepare for ice as with any Maine mountain.

Camping

Camping is permitted in the park. There is a lean-to at the Center Hill campsite, which looks right out towards the Tumbledown-Jackson range. There are also extensive tentsites available at Webb lake Beach. Reservations are needed, Contact the park for more info:
Bureau of Parks and Lands
Reservations Office
22 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333
In state: 1-800-332-1501
Outside Maine: (207) 287-3824

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Directions in Weld

Once you get to Weld use these directions and not the ones listed. Coming north on rt 142 into town you will come to an intersection with stop signs on all four sides. Rt 156 (School Street) will be to your right. Go straight through this intersection onto Center Hill Road and set your odometer. You will pass the Mt Blue Garage right away and at .4 miles bear left at the intersection and continue onward to the end of the pavement at 1.7 miles (this is just after a sharp right hand curve). After that you will pass the Central Hill parking area on your right at 2.5 miles and at 3.4 miles there is the intersection for Mt Blue Road. Turn off Center Hill Road by going straight onto Mt Blue Road and follow it all the way to the dead end where the trail is to the left of the parking area. There is parking to the right and left at this dead end.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.