Castle Towers Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.94000°N / 122.93667°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8776 ft / 2675 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A somewhat remote mountain located at the far end of Garibaldi lake. It is located in the very popular Garibaldi Provincial park in south west B.C.

Getting There

Approach via Cheakamus lake trail and Helm meadows or via Garibaldi lake and the Rubble creek trail. Helm is probably a little quicker but Garbaldi lake is beautifull and a must see.

Garibaldi lake approach/ Rubble Creek trail). Drive about 33km's past Squamish on hiway 99 and look for sign on your right. (may be missing due to hiway expansion project) Follow well maintained trail to Garibaldi lake and the take trail towards Panorama ridge.

Cheakamus River/ Helm creek trail. The quickest acess to Castle Towers. Access trail head from Function Junction in Whistler. This will take you on the Cheakamus Lake road where after a couple km's you will turn onto Eastside Main forest service road. The parking lot will be about 7km's from there.


Routes

West ridge (scramble/low 5th) From either Rubble creek or Helm creek trail will leave main trails and head for Gentian ridge, it's all route finding from here. Drop down 400M's into Getian Pass and head for Polemonium ridge where you can do some primo bivy action on a grass knoll. After that drop down into the col between Polemonium ridge and Castle Towers west ridge. Scramble up rock to gain west ridge (route finding) and depending on conditions will have to crampon up the slope to the west summit. The main summit will require a rapplel and carefull scramble or low 5th climb to the summit depending on snow.


Northwest Face (AD ice 4th low 5th) This route is approached from Gentian pass by veering north around Polemonium ridge and gaining the glacier that drops dramaticaly from the Northwest face of Castle Towers. This will eventually ramp up to a rock climb to reach the summit. 4th/ low 5th

Castle Towers Mountain


Clearly visible is the West ridge route on the right. The Northwest face is the glacier that runs up the middle of the peak and runs out into a rock climb to the summit.

Red Tape

Camping fees are in effect at both campgrounds Helm Meadows and Garibaldi lake. However if pursuing Castle Towers you will have hiked well beyond the provincial pay camp sites and in to less traveled more remote wilderness. Pay parking at bothe trail heads is also in effect during the late spring to realy fall time of year. About $5.00 a day.