Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.45000°N / 114.4989°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2349 ft / 716 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hikers summiting Silica Dome
Silica Dome is an awesome Sandstone Peak in the Valley of Fire.
This short hike can give one some of the most excellent views within the park.

Getting There

The park is located about 55 miles NE from Las Vegas. Traveling NE on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas, take Nevada Route 169 at Crystal south to the park. Traveling southwest on I-15 turn south on Route 169 (Exit 93) near Glendale, and travel southeast 15 miles to the park.

Once you arrive at the visitor center, turn into the visitor center and then take a left onto Mouse's Tank Road. Drive 1.9 miles and then turn right onto Rainbow Vista Road up to the parking area. Silica Dome is about 1/2 mile in front of you.


Route

The easiest route is to drive up Mouse's Tank Road to Rainbow Vista Road from the visitor center and then do the short hike to the top. Another way would be to hike from Rainbow Vista down through Fire Canyon and then scramble over to Silica Dome.

The most challenging and fun way is to park at the visitor center and then hike/scramble/boulder your way North for a few miles until you reach Silica Dome. This will test your route finding skills as well as your scrambling skills. If you do this route be sure to have plenty of water and take your time scrambling as some of the sandstone is very brittle. Great scenery can be enjoyed on this route.

Silica Dome
Silica Dome

Red Tape

  • Red Tape Link to Red Tape on the Valley of Fire Page

    Camping

  • Camping Link to Camping on the Valley of Fire Page

    Summit Shots

    On the summit
    Myself on Silica Dome

    External Links

  • Google Image Search for Silica Dome

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    Aaron Johnson

    Aaron Johnson - Dec 16, 2006 4:56 pm - Hasn't voted

    Film Location

    Silica Dome is where some climactic scenes for Star Trek: Generations was filmed. Look closely at the top of the dome and on rocks to the west for some repair spots where scaffolding was once attached. Captain Kirk meets his end on the south side of the dome at the bottom of a draw, after a scaffold collapses with him on it. After viewing the pictures on this page or visiting Valley of Fire and seing it for yourself, watch the movie. It's pretty cool and it really flatters the area!

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.