Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99160°N / 107.1034°W
Additional Information County: Gunnison
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12958 ft / 3950 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Ruby Range Overview

The Ruby Range is a long, southern extension of the Elk Mountains. Most of the Ruby Range is within the Raggeds Wilderness. Yule Pass and Kebler Pass are the northern and southern boundaries of the Ruby Range, respectively.

Purple Mountain Overview

Purple Mountain is located in the Elk Mountains less than 1 mile south of Yule Pass and close to the towns of Pittsburgh (Pittsburg) and Crested Butte. It is the most northern peak in the Ruby Range, a subrange of the Elk Mountains. Purple Mountain has two summits. Its numbered summit is the northern of the two. It's highest is the southern of the two, 100 yards south of the northern summit.
Purple Mountain Purple Mountain from its southeast ridge
Purple Mountain is the 662nd highest peak in Colorado, but the 257th most prominent in the state and the 25th highest twelver in Colorado. Gerry Roach classifies Purple Mountain as one of Colorado's Classic Peaks. In addition to providing a fun hike and scramble in the summer, the south face makes a fine ski descent in the fall, winter and spring during times of low avalanche danger. From the summit, Treasure Mountain, Treasury Mountain, Cinnamon Mountain, North Maroon Peak, South Maroon Peak, Pyramid Peak, "Thunder Pyramid" and "Lightning Pyramid" can be seen.
Purple Mountain Purple Mountain from its southeast ridge

Getting There

Summer

From CO 135 and Main St. in Crested Butte, drive 0.9 mile north to Slate River Road. Drive 12 miles to Paradise Divide. Hike 2 miles on the Yule Pass Trail to Yule Pass. From Yule Pass continue south to Purple Mountain's summit. For more information, check out Gerry Roach's description.
Purple Mountain s North Ridge Route Purple Mountain's North Ridge Route

Fall, Winter & Spring

Snow closure is about 3 miles from the CO 135/Slate River Road intersection, adding 18 miles roundtrip to the north ridge route. During times of snow closure, a more direct assault of Purple Mountain by its southeast ridge is more feasible.

Red Tape

Purple Mountain's summit is on the eastern border of Raggeds Wilderness, so motorized travel is permitted from the east.

Mountain Conditions

7 Day Forecast for Crested Butte, CO Colorado Avalanche Information Center Crested Butte Avalanche Center

Camping

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/camping.cfm

External Links

Climbing Purple Mountain's North Ridge Skiing Purple Mountain's South Face Camping

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

sipho - Sep 12, 2018 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Valid link to climb.mountain.com for Purple Mountain as of Sept, 2018

The external link to climb.mountain.com is broken. This one appears to work: http://www.climb.mountains.com/Classic_Peaks_files/Colorado_Classics_files/Purple_Mtn.shtml

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Elk MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks