Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.42580°N / 82.7569°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5721 ft / 1744 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the 479,000 acre Pisgah National Forest, Mt. Pisgah stands 5,721 feet tall just 15 miles southwest of Asheville near the border of Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson, and Transylvania Counties in western North carolina. The mountain is easily accessible via the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway.

View from Parking Lot


Once the land of the Cherokee Indians Mount Pisgah was known to its native inhabitants as Elseetoss and the Pisgah Ridge was known by the name of Warwasseeta. Later Mt. Pisgah and its surrounding land was owned by Thomas L. Clingman, (after who Clingman's Dome is named, the second tallest peak east of the Mississippi River, the tallest peak in Tennessee, and located in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park). Shortly before his death in 1897 the land was sold to George Washington Vanderbilt (grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt)he acquired it as a part of the 125,000 acres he owned in the Asheville area. In 1911 as apart of the Weeks Act the US Forest Service purchased 80,000 acres including Mt. Pisgah from Edeth Vanderbilt(George Washington Vanderbilt's Widow). The section of the Blue Ridge Parkway passing Mt. Pisgah opened in the mid 1960's and it one of the most scenic drives in the southeast today (along with 441 through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park)

Mt. Pisgah is said to have been named after Pisgah the mountain in Deuteronomy (4th chapter), that the Lord ordered Moses to ascend and reveal the promised land to the tribes of Israel.


On the summit is a wooden viewing deck (approximately 20 feet in diameter) that offers about 250 degree views. A small portion of the view is blocked due to a 339 foot television tower being located right beside it.
View of Cold Mountain

Getting There

From the North: Via I-26 or I-40 to the Blue Ridge Parkway

The easiest way to get there is by access of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can either access it from I-26 or I-40. You would then head south on the parkway until reaching mile marker 408. You would then pull into the parking lot for Mt. Pisgah there will be a large wooden sign directing you to the parking lot. Once pulling off the parkway you will drive into the first parking lot, continue driving through the parking lot as there will be a second parking lot about 150 yards further. Park in the second parking lot and the trailhead is at the end of the parking lot.

From the South: Via Highway 441 to the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park

From Gatlingburg: Driving 441 south towards Cherokee from Gatlinburg approximately 12 miles after passing New Found Gap and 2 miles before reaching Cherokee you will find a road on the left marked "To Blue Ridge Parkway" take this left and follow the signs to enter the parkway. Once on the Blue Ridge Parkway drive North until reaching mile marker 408. You would then pull into the parking lot for Mt. Pisgah there will be a large wooden sign directing you to the parking lot. Once pulling off the parkway you will drive into the first parking lot, continue driving through the parking lot as there will be a second parking lot about 150 yards further. Park in the second parking lot and the trailhead is at the end of the parking lot.

From Cherokee: From Cherokee heading North on the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Gatlinburg, shortly after entering the Great Smokey Mountain National Park you will find this same road marked by a sign "To Blue Ridge Parkway" take this right and follow the signs to the entering the parkway. Once on the Blue Ridge parkway drive North until reaching mile marker 408. You would then pull into the parking lot for Mt. Pisgah there will be a large wooden sign directing you to the parking lot. Once pulling off the parkway you will drive into the first parking lot, continue driving through the parking lot as there will be a second parking lot about 150 yards further. Park in the second parking lot and the trailhead is at the end of the parking lot.

Trailhead

Red Tape

No fees or permits required to hike. Camping is available nearby just one mile South on the Blue Ridge Parkway. As in any national forest area do not camp or start fires except in designated areas and in the manner permitted.

Camping

Between milepost 408 and 409 is the Pisgah Inn and also the Mt. Pisgah campground. This is less than one mile from the trailhead for Mt. Pisgah.

The Pisgah Inn stands at an elevation exceeding 5,000 feet and has 52 rooms, a restaurant, and a gift shop.

The campground has 70 tent sites and 67 trailer sites. The sites include running water, and flush toilets, however there are no showers (sinks only).

External Links

Information on Pisgah Inn and Campground

Everything You Need to Know about Mt. Pisgah and the Pisgah Inn (Including Online Room Reservations)

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Blue Ridge ParkwayMountains & Rocks