Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.34901°N / 118.3132°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4635 ft / 1413 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is above Little Tujunga Canyon at the western end of the San Gabriel Mountains, and is one of the peaks along the Mendenhall Ridge which extends about 12 miles from Dillon Divide (the parking area) to Iron Mountain to the east.

There was once a fire lookout tower on the summit, and is still shown on the topo map, but that's long gone now, though the concrete foundation is still there as well as a water tank and the remnants of two small shacks.

The peak and the ridge are named after William V. Mendenhall. He was the Angeles National Forest Supervisor from 1929 to 1957.

Mendenhall PeakMendenhall Peak

Getting There

Mendenhall Ridge Road


Exit the 210 freeway at Osborne Street in the city of Lakeview Terrace. Turn left if coming from the west (right if eastbound) and go about a block, then turn left on Little Tujunga Canyon Road. There is a 7-11 here for last minute supplies. Drive up about 7 miles to the top of the pass (Dillon Divide), park on the right side near the gate. Walk around the gate and follow the dirt road (3N32). A couple miles in, you will cross under some power lines where Burma Road (3N37) comes up from the right, this is Highline Saddle. Keep going east on 3N32 another couple miles to Mendenhall Saddle. Turn right, passing an old gate and follow the abandoned old road about a mile to the summit. The last section of road from the gate at Mendenhall Saddle to the summit is overgrown down to a brushy singletrack with a couple of washouts to navigate, it would be hard on a bike.

As an short-cut alternative, it is possible leave the road near Highline Saddle and follow the ridge up past a couple bumps to Mendenhall Peak, but the first part is very steep and a bit brushy making it a better option on the descent, which is nice since the last couple miles of the road to the summit are circuitous.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

This is usually done as a dayhike, though you could camp on top if you wanted. It would be a nice view of the city lights below. There are no developed campgrounds here.

External Links

Google maps
Peakbagger.com
Weather Forecast for San Gabriel Mountains.
Angeles National Forest