Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.09851°N / 116.85917°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10510 ft / 3203 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dobbs Peak is a rarely visited 10k+ peak located in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in Southern California. It has two summits. The East stands taller at 10,510ft and West Peak is 10,469ft. It stands just South of Jepson Peak and the Summit Ridge trail and is easily reachable from here. Dobbs is one of the near dozen 10k+ peaks in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Many hikers will unknowingly stare up at Dobbs on the way up the Vivian Creek trail en route to San Gorgonio or other local summits. The Peak is a HPS peak and many Sierra Club hikers climb Dobbs. This peak has a beautiful view of the surrounding area, and the absence of many other hikers and adventurers make this peak a great trip in the beautiful San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Trailheads/Route Options

There are a couple ways to climb Dobbs from different trailheads. Here are the two shortest approaches for Dobbs Peak:

VIVIAN CREEK- Take the trail up past the Wilderness barrier. According to the Defenders of the San Gorgonio Wilderness Map there is a trace trail just before Vivian Creek Camp that leads over the creek and around the West ridge of Dobbs, Class 2 cross-country scrambling. The alternative method is to find a direct route up the manzanita covered North slopes just after Halfway camp. I have heard of people going up the SE slopes of Dobbs right from High Creek, and offers a long traverse to the East summit.

SOUTH FORK- Take the trail up past Dollar Lake Saddle and up around on the Summit ridge trail en route to Jepson and Gorgonio. Just past the trace trail to Jepson from the summit ridge trail there is a trace trail leading down to Dobbs. Even with no trail it is easy routefinding on the way down to Dobbs. This way is unique because you top out on elevation on the trail and then drop down to summit!

Red Tape

Entering the San Gorgonio Wilderness requires a free permit. Just stop at the Mill Creek Ranger Station off Hwy 38 on your way up the mountain. A $5 dollar parking pass or Adventure pass will be needed as well @ the Ranger Station.

Camping

On both routes stated there are great campsites with water running seasonally. Ask the Ranger Station. On a North side approach, there is South Fork Meadows, Dollar Lake and Saddle. From the South, Vivian and Halfway camps have streams.

Directions to Trailheads

South Fork and Vivian trail heads can be reached off of Hwy 38, which starts in Redlands. For Vivian Creek, take 38 to Valley of the Falls Road until it ends into the Vivian trail head. For South Fork, Continue left up 38 past Angelus Oaks to Jenks Lake road. Go right and follow road to trailhead parking on the left.

Additional Information

Mill Creek Ranger Station- Gorgonio Wilderness
(909) 382-2881
Hwy 38 and Bryant Street, Mentone, CA



Topo Map-http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34.09835&lon=-116.85872&size=l&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

bcrowell2 - Nov 5, 2010 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

wrong lat-lon

I don't think the lat-lon are right. It's actually south of Jepson, but the lat places it north of Jepson. This page places it at http://www.placenames.com/us/p241522/ 34.09806, -116.85889.

Blair

Blair - Nov 21, 2010 11:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wrong lat-lon

Thanks, Its now correct.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.