Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.19972°N / 19.81970°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7139 ft / 2176 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

Starorobocianski Wierch, Klin 2176

Beautiful and prominent, pyramidal in shape, the highest peak of Polish Western Tatras.

Starorobocianski Wierch - Western TatrasStarorobocianski Wierch - SE Face


Starorobocianski Wierch is situated in the main Tatra ridge line on Polish/Slovak border between Bystra(Blyszcz point) massif in the east and less prominent culmination of Konczysty Wierch peak in the north-west.

It is the highest peak of Polish part of Western Tatras and the 5th highest one in whole Western Tatras.

Rather easily accessible Starorobocianski stays very popular and frequently visited mountain for the whole year round with the greatest intensity through summer season period. Marked routes enable reaching the summit by the ridge from the north-west and eastern side. Wonderful ski touring area in winter.

The peak was climbed since time immemorial by huntsmen and sheperds from both sides of Tatra mountains but the first known winter ascent(on skis) was made by Henryk Bednarski, Jerzy Cybulski, Stefan Jaworski, Gustaw Kalenski and Jozef Lesiecki in 1910.

The old, Polish name of the peak was “szczyt” (a peak) what mention 18th and 19th century mining documents and old prints. The name “Starorobocianski” comes from the sheperd’s pasture area on the northern side called “Stara Robota”.
The Slovak name is connected with characteristic massive, southern ridge of the mountain.

There are some old reports about mineral exploration works in northern slopes of Starorobocianski from the 2nd half of 18th century. In 1813 the summit was visited by Goran Wahlenberg – world famous Swedish botanist.

The massif is bulit of metamorphic and migmatic granitoid rocks. Interesting, 200 meter long tectonic trench intersects along the lower part of Starorobocianski’s north-western ridge.

Wonderful summit panorama in all directions.

Starorobocianski Wierch 2176

Starorobocianski from the WestStarorobocianski from the West


Starorobocianski Wierch rises above valleys of: Starorobocianska on the north and Rackova on the south. At the southern foot of the massif, Rackova valley branches into 2 highest floors reaching the main ridge. These are: north-eastern Gaborova valley and north-western Rackov zadok valley with 3 lakes in its highest section(marked routes).

Starorobocianski peak is situated in the main Tatra ridge line. The ridge from the summit towards north-west falls first steeply then rather gently to Starorobocianska Przelecz/Rackovo Sedlo pass(1967) which separates the massif from nearby Konczysty Wierch/Koncista peak(2003).
The eastern ridge goes down to Gaborowa Przelecz/Gaborovo Sedlo pass(1959) above which just a few steps to the east rises a small culmintaion which is a point where the extensive Ornak ridge going to the north begins. East to Gaborowa pass, the ridge rises gently through Baniste and then climbs to high point of Blyszcz/Blyst(2158) which is the northern tip of
Bystra(2248) summit ridge. South side of the peak is formed by short, wide ridge which divides Rackova valley into 2 branches mentioned above.
North face is undercut by impressive 500 meter high grass-rocky cliffs falling to Starorobocianska valley.

Getting There

Polish side:
The key thing is to get to the town of Zakopane easily accessible by car, bus or train from Cracow City(nearest international airport). The bus ride from Cracow takes only 2 hours.
All bus lines start their courses at Cracow's Central Railway/Bus station where you can also choose train connection but it will take you much more time - about 3,5 hours and the difference in costs is none. As far as costs are concerned - you have to pay 20 zlotys (4,5 Euro) for single, one way ticket.

Cracow - Zakopane distance is 98 km. The road usually very busy at weekends of summer or winter season is still being modernized.

Chocholowska nad Koscieliska – two greatest Polish Western Tatra valleys where one usually starts hiking in this part of the mountains are easily accessible from Zakopane by numerous PKS and private buses.

Zakopane

PKS Cracow – Zakopane bus departures

PKP - Polish Railways connection search

PKS Zakopane - buses

Slovak side:
The major town of Slovak Western Tatra area is Liptovsky Mikulas.
There are direct trains and buses from all major Slovak cities to Liptovsky Mikulas, then, when planning mountain trips one can get by car or bus to all major entry points like Ziar, Jalovec, Zuberec or Podbanske. Everyday service is provided by SAD bus lines.

Slovak bus and train connection search

Liptovsky Mikulas

Pribylina

The nearest airports to Tatra mountains are located in Cracow(100 km)
in Poland and in Poprad nearby in Slovakia.

Cracow Airport

Poprad-Tatry Airport

Marked Routes Overview

Polish side:

Kiry(927) – Koscieliska valley – Ornak chalet(1100) - Iwaniacka pass(1459) – Ornak ridge(1863) – Siwa pass(1812) - Gaborowa pass(1959) – Starorobocianski Wierch(2176).

About 11 km, 1200 meters of altitude difference, from Ornak chalet following yellow(to Iwaniacka pass), then green(along Ornak to the main ridge) and finally red marks.

Siwa Polana – Chocholowska valley – Wyznia Chocholowska Brama(0,3 km further to the point where valley branches out) – Starorobocianska valley – Siwa pass(1812) – Gaborowa pass(1959) – Starorobocianski Wierch(2176).

About 12,5 km, 1200 meters of altitude difference, green, black(Starorobocianska valley to Siwa pass), shortly green again and red(from Gaborowa pass) marks to the summit.

Mountain chalet at Polana Chocholowska(1146) – Jarzabcza valley - Trzydniowianski Wierch(1765) – Konczysty Wierch(2003) – Starorobocianska/Rackovo pass(1967) – Starorobocianski Wierch(2176).

About 6 km, 1050 meters of altitude difference, red(to Trzydniowianski Wierch), green(to Konczysty Wierch) and finally red marks.

Slovak side:

Autocamping at the entry to Uzka valley(Jamnicka-Rackova valley system) – Nizna Luka - Rackova valley – Gaborova valley – Gaborovo/Gaborowa pass(1959) – Klin/Starorobocianski Wierch(2176).

About 11 km, 1300 meters of altitude difference, Blue, yellow, green and red marks.

Autocamping at the entry to Uzka valley – Rackova valley – Nizna Luka - Rackov zadok valley – Rackovo/Starorobocianska pass(1967) – Klin/Starorobocianski Wierch(2176).

About 11 km, 1300 meters of a.d., Blue, yellow and red marks.

These are the most popular routes to Starorobocianski Wierch, there are some more, interesting possible route comibinations. The peak is very often climbed while climbing the main ridge from West or East(red marks).

Starorobocianski Wierch area - Map

Starorobocianski Wierch area - MapStarorobocianski Wierch map(click to enlarge)


Tatry Zachodnie (Western Tatra) map, in scale 1:25 000, description in 6 languages, ISBN 83-87873-36-5, available in all shops and book stores in Zakopane . Here you can check the net version

Tatra Maps (English version)

Red Tape

It is Tatra National Parks – Polish TPN and Slovak TANAP area, one can hike only using marked trails. According to TANAP regulations hiking in Slovak part of the mountains is available from 15th June till the end of October, then all the routes are officialy being closed. No entry fees to National Park on Slovak side, some little fees on Polish side.

Watch out for strict rules of wildlife conservation.

Stay always respectful to mountain nature !

On 21.12.2007 Slovakia along with Poland signed Schengen Agreement and accessed to "open borders" Schengen Area,
however one must remember that National Park regulations prohibiting crossing the border beside marked trails in the whole area remain in force.

TPN - Tatra National Park - Poland

TANAP - Tatra National Park - Slovakia

After sunset...Waiting for the night...




Mountain Conditions - When To Climb

The best hiking season: August - October
In July rather frequent t-storms and heavy rainfall periods though it’s not a rule(July 2006 hot and full of sun) as simply nothing in Central Europe’s weather…you just never know, just watch forecasts carefully.
In winter the area is seriously endangered by avalanches, but if the conditions are stable for longer time (usually not earlier than April) it would be great to climb(crampons, ice axes can be very useful) Starorobocianski or other beautiful Western Tatra peaks.

Severe and extremely changeable Tatra mountain climate, be always prepared for sudden weather breakdowns !

TOPR - Tatra avalanche forecast(Poland)

HZS - Tatra avalanche forecast(Slovakia)

Actual weather by HZS

HZS weather forecast

Numeric weather forecast by ICM(Poland)

Weather and forecast for Zakopane(Poland)

Camping

Lots of accomodation possibilities of different standard and price in towns and villages on both sides of Tatra Mountains. Zakopane, Koscielisko, Witow and Chocholow on Polish side, Liptovsky Mikulas and Pribylina on Slovak side.

There are 2 popular mountain chalets in the area on Polish side:
Ornak chalet in Koscieliska valley and Mountain chalet at Chocholowska Polana, both open all year round.

No mountain chalets on Slovak side. The nearest one is Ziarska Chata chalet a few kilometers west in Ziarska valley. There are some wooden huts in Jamnicka and Rackova valleys:

Koliba Pod Pustym (Jamnicka valley)

Koliba Pod Klinom (Rackova valley)

Camping in both Tatra National Parks is strictly forbidden(besides a few designated places).

Autocamping Rackova

Mountain Rescue

On Polish side acts Tatra Mountain Rescue TOPR

34-500 Zakopane, ul.Pilsudskiego 63a,
tel. ++48 18 2014731, fax: ++48 18 2015560
E-mail: topr@topr.pl
web: www.topr.pl

Rescue Phone Number : 601 100 300

On Slovak side acts Horska Sluzba - HZS Zapadne Tatry

HZS Západné Tatry
Žiarska Dolina, 032 05 Smrecany
tel.: ++421 44 558 62 18, mobil: ++421 903 624 061
e-mail: ztjuh@hzs.sk
web: www.hzs.sk

HZS Západné Tatry
Zverovka, 027 32 Zuberec
tel.:++421 43 5395101, mobil: ++421 903 624 066
e-mail: ztsever@hzs.sk
web: www.hzs.sk

Rescue Phone Number: 18 300



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.