Y Lliwedd

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.05360°N / 4.05533°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2946 ft / 898 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Y Lliwedd- "colourless peak"(Welsh)

This is a fine hill which forms part of the famous Snowdon Horseshoe. It is most often climbed as part of this round.

The eastern flanks of this mountain are steep cliffs rising above Glaslyn and Llyn Llydaw, Snowdon's lakes.

This mountain is the most conspicuous of the Snowdon peaks for those who approach Snowdon on the Miners' and Pyg tracks.

Few that summit Snowdon continue over to Y Lliwedd as the challenge of Wales' highest peak is enough, leaving Y Lliwedd quiet and peaceful even when queues are forming at the summit of Snowdon.

This peak has an almost alpine appearance and is the home to some of the earliest rock climbs in the area. Victorian climbers were attracted to the peak's rugged looks and used the large north facing cliffs as a training ground for the Alps. In 1909 the cliff was the subject of the first British climbing guide book, and George Mallory of Everest fame conducted some of his early climbs here.

The cliff is large,loose and vegetated and is less popular in these days of boots without nails!

Getting There

Easily accessed by road from either Llanberis via the A55, or Betwys y Coed, via th A5. There is also a bus service available at some times, though I have never put this to the test.

Red Tape

None, climb and walk as you like and enjoy the scenery.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snowdon/Yr WyddfaMountains & Rocks