Trugberg

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.54635°N / 8.01435°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12903 ft / 3933 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This Bernese Oberland mountain rises like an island in a sea of ice. Trugberg is surrounded by the Jungfraufirn on the west side and the Ewigschneefeld on the east side. The north end starts at the Oberes Mönchjoch and it stretches almost down to the Konkordiaplatz in the south. The 4½ km long N-S ridge has several separate tops with the highest being 3932.9 meter. Comparing to the neighbouring 4000 meter peaks, Trugberg does not attract much attention from mountaineers. The situation would have been different if the summit had been just 67.1 meter higher. Still the long ridge of Trugberg is worth a visit with many interesting views of the Oberland mountains.

The famous glacier researcher Agassiz was deceived when in 1841 from the Grossen Aletschgletscher he mistook the Trugberg for the Jungfrau. Realizing the mistake he gave the mountain the dubitative name Trugberg (Cheating mountain).

Trugberg was first climbed 13 July 1871 by Dr. Emil Burckardt from Basel, with the two local guides Peter Egger and Peter Schlegel. The route they took was by the east flank.
Trugberg MapFrom Swiss Map: 1:25.000 No. 1249, Finsteraarhorn


Getting There

Jungfraujoch at 3454 meter is reached by train from Kleine Scheidegg coming from Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.
The Mönchjoch hut (3650 meter) is a 45 minutes walk from Jungfraujoch.
From the south the Konkordia huts (2850 meter) are approached from Fiesch. From Jungfraujoch allow two hours over the Jungfraufirn and the Konkordiaplatz.

See also:
Mönch
Jungfrau
Fiescherhorn Trugberg north ridge. Photo taken from mönchsjoch hut

Routes

  • West flank from Jungfraufirn. This is the shortest way starting from Jungfraujoch. Snow and ice.

  • East flank from Ewigschneefeld . Start from the Mönchsjoch or the Konkordia huts. Snow and ice.

  • Traverse North-South including the NNW-ridge. Start from Möchjoch hut. Mixed with rock of grade II-III.

  • The south summit (3880 meter) is often ascended by ski from the Konkordia huts.

  • Jungfrau, on the normal...Sunrise behind the Trugberg

    When to climb

    Mid June to end of September.
    Monch Trugberg as seen from the summit of Mönch


    Maps and books

    Swiss Maps:
  • 1:25.000 Nr. 1249, Finsteraarhorn

  • 1:50.000 Nr. 264, Jungfrau


  • Guide books:
  • Swindin, Les: Bernese Oberland, Selected Climbs, Alpine Club Guide Books, 1993

  • Munter, Werner und Margrit: Berner Alpen, Rother, München, 1984

  • Grossen, Hans: Berner Oberland, Die 100 schönsten Touren (The 100 Finest Routes), Bruckmann, München, 1989



  • Show larger map

    Red Tape

    No permits or fees.

    External Links

    Climbing photos

    Trip report (Swedish)



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.