Muddy Mountain (Muddy High Point)

Muddy Mountain (Muddy High Point)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.29863°N / 114.71429°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5432 ft / 1656 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Muddy Mountain
Muddy Mountain (IE Muddy High Point, Muddy Benchmark) is the high point of the Muddy Mountains located in Southern Nevada northeast of Las Vegas. This peak gets little attention. Muddy Peak, it's close neighbor, is considered by most as the highlight of this range. Muddy Mountain is seen as the high dominant point from North Las Vegas when looking to the east northeast of Nellis AFB. This peak comes in at number 69 on the prominence list for Nevada.

The views from Muddy Mountain offer a 360-degree panaroma. Great views of Lake Mead, the Spring Mountains, the Sheep Range, Arizona, the Virgin Mountains, and much more can be enjoyed from the summit. The route is an easy class II. It's neighbor, Muddy Peak is much more challenging at class III.

Getting There

From Las Vegas drive north on I-15. Take exit 75, Route 169 (about 38 miles from the Las Vegas Strip). This will be marked with a sign for the Valley of Fire. Drive 3.1 miles southeast on Route 169 where the road will start to curve left just pass milepost 3. Take the dirt road that goes straight from the road, not taking the curve on Route 169. The pavement ends shortly. From the end of the pavement drive 4.0 miles to a BLM sign indicating mileage and directions to Buffington Pockets., Continue straight (SE) towards Buffington Pockets. Follow the main dirt road (ignoring any minor forks to the right or left) for 6.2 miles to a faint dirt road. Turn right here. The faint dirt road goes south a little ways, then turns right following the wash heading generally west towards a low ridge or saddle. Continue up the wash driving about 1 mile to the road closure at a large, metal sign.

NOTE: This is definitely a 4WD road and is very rough in several spots.

Red Tape - Camping

Red Tape

There is no Red Tape in this area.

Camping

Camping here is allowed without a permit. Minimum impact is appropriate.

For more information contact:

Management Agency:
Bureau of Land Management
Las Vegas Field Office
4701 North Torrey Pines Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
(702) 515-5000

The Hike

Muddy & Muddy HiPt Tracks Part I
From the parking area head west along the road a short distance to the little ridge. Drop down into Hidden Valley. Turn and follow the road that heads south. Continue south passing by a donut shaped sandstone formation. Take a break and climb onto this sandstone and enjoy the views.

Continue heading south towards where you will eventually run into a field of orange and red sandstone formations at the base of a mountain. Turn here and start going up the wash that takes you to the saddle between Muddy Peak and Muddy Mountain.

From the ridge, head northwest following the ridge that takes you south of Muddy Mountain. You will then curve to the south once on top of the ridge and hike the final short distance to Muddy Mountain.

Muddy & Muddy HiPt Tracks


ANOTHER Route:

From the parking area hike over the road into Hidden Valley. Follow the
Road in Hidden Valley west then south where it ends just north of point 1455. Continue south, then southeast up a canyon behind point 1455 to a saddle, just southwest of point 1527. From here hike southwest and then curve around the ridge to a saddle. From here hike the last 0.35 miles to the summit.

When to climb

This peak can be climbed year round. Late fall-early spring is the best time though, as it will be much more comfortable. With lower elevation snow fall and ice is very minimal if at all.

Mountain Conditions

  • Weather for the Las Vegas vicinity.

    Moon Rise over the Muddy Mountains

    External Links

  • Panorama Panoramic View from Muddy High Point
  • Trip Report Sierra Club Trip report to Muddy Mountain by: Greg Roach
  • Jim Boone's page on Muddy Mountains Wilderness Area

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    gimpilator

    gimpilator - Dec 14, 2016 9:55 am - Hasn't voted

    Road Condition Update

    In December of 2016, it was not possible with a Subaru to even enter the wash at the start of the foothills. It's a jeep and truck road only now.

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1