Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.19800°N / 116.814°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9952 ft / 3033 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sugarloaf Mountain is located in the San Bernardino Mountains. It is about 7 miles southeast of Big Bear Lake, CA. While there are higher peaks in the nearby San Gorgonio wilderness, it is a prominent peak in the area standing 9952 feet tall (3032m). While the summit is sort of anticlimatic, the views along the upper parts of the trail are outstanding. Looking south, you get a great view of southern california’s highest peak (San Gorgonio - 11499') and all its nearby 10k peaks. To the north (-west), you can see as far as the eye can reach. On a clear day, I believe you can even see the snowcapped (in winter at least) Sierra!

Sugarloaf Mountain was first climbed by Weldon Heald in 1938 and the peak was named after its resemblence (whatever that means).

Getting There

There are various ways to climb this peak. The directions mentioned below can be used for both a summer and winter ascent. In summer, there are shorter approaches.
From Big Bear Lake, drive east on hwy 18, eventually taking hwy 38 (south). At approximately 9 miles from Big Bear Lake, turn right on Hatchery Drive (2N93). If you are coming from the ‘other’ side, Hatchery Drive is located about 26mi from Angelus Oaks (turn left on 2N93).


In winter you will have to park at the gate and walk 1.25mi to the trailhead. When the gate is open, you can drive this part; the road is easily passable for regular passenger vehicles.

 

Red Tape

Unless you need a Forest Adventure Pass to park on the dirt road (?), I don’t think any passes/permits are required (somebody correct me if I’m wrong).

Edit: no passes or permits are required (see additions/corrections by tarol)

 

When to climb

The mountain can be climbed year round. In winter, snow shoes and crampons/ice axe may be required. Chain restrictions are sometimes in effect on hwy 18/38 after recent snowfall.

 

External Links

All kinds of info on the San Bernardino National Forest (road closures, etc.):
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/

Other road descriptions by the Sierra Club:
http://angeleschapter.org/hps/guides/22d.htm

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
tarol

tarol - Oct 11, 2007 10:06 am - Voted 10/10

Don't need an adventure pass or wilderness pass for Sugarloaf Mtn

If you ever have a question about where you need an adventure pass, visit this website. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/hiras.shtml#sbnf_hiras Wilderness passes are just needed in designated wilderness areas like the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Oct 11, 2007 1:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Don't need an adventure pass or wilderness pass for Sugarloaf Mtn

Thanks for the update!!

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 21, 2008 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Not the first to climb it...

The peak was climbed well before the 20th century. The Sierra Club merely mentions that Weldon climbed it in 1938 on their web site, no claim that he was the first.

phydeux

phydeux - Sep 30, 2011 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Adventure Pass IS required

Went up it with a friend two weekends ago, using his car, and forgot to put the Pass on the dashboard where we were parked at the Green Canyon Creek trailhead on 2N93. We had a citation on the windshield when we got back. That sucks . . .

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Sep 30, 2011 6:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Adventure Pass IS required

Sorry to hear. If you send in your Pass number, you don't have to pay it though. Or if you don't have a pass, well, you're probably still fine if you don't pay it :).

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.