Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.52700°N / 119.9776°W
Additional Information County: Santa Barbara
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4298 ft / 1310 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View southeast




Santa Ynez Peak is the most prominent peak in the Santa Ynez Mountains of Santa Barbara County with a value of P2074 and is ranked 147th in California. It has a unique position on the Santa Barbara coast and resides less then 5 air miles from the waves. From its radio tower covered summit you can see one of the most expansive views in southern California. The vista includes the northern Channel Islands, Santa Barbara coastline, backbone of the Santa Ynez Mountains, Santa Ynez Valley, and the San Rafael Mountains.

Getting There

Drive north of Santa Barbara on the 101 about ten miles. On your right will be the exit for Refugio State Beach. Make a right at the stop sign and drive inland 7.1 miles to the crest of the range. Refugio Road is highly scenic and you will pass through beautiful ranchs and avocado farms. At 7.1 miles you come to a intersection. There is three ways to, the road to the right and in the inbetween the other roads leads to the peak, there is also a sign that reads the road is not maintained past this point. Continue east on the middle paved road for 5.0 miles. At 5.0 miles the road splits, take the right unpaved but in good condition road. At .5 miles you reach another split, take the left paved again road up to the summit. Park amongst the towers anywhere that doesn't block access points to the towers.

Red Tape

The road to the peak is within Los Padres National Forest so a Adventure Pass would be required for parking. A Adventure Pass can usually be bought at most gas stations near forest roads. The remote nature of this part of the National Forest makes it pretty doubtful that rangers will be checking for permits, but it could happen.

Camping

For camping in Los Padres National Forest Campgrounds.

For camping at any of the local State Beaches.

1. Gaviota State Beach

2. El Capitan State Beach

3. El Refugio State Beach

My personal favorite place to camp is El Capitan State Beach.

Other Routes

Tequepis Canyon Trail UNDER CONSTRUCTION

External Links

For current conditions in Los Padres National Forest go their homepage.

For current weather go to Weather Underground

Broadcast Peak

Route to Broadcast Peak

Broadcast Peak is the towered covered summit just to the east of Santa Ynez Peak. Broadcast Peak stands at 4028 feet tall. You can drive to its summit along a chunky portion of the Camino Cielo Road or you could hike it from the summit of Santa Ynez Peak. Just head down the summit road to the main road and hike on over. Roundtrip would be around 3 miles with about 700 feet of gain.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
brutus of wyde

brutus of wyde - Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

From Lake Cachuma

Nice to see these peaks in Summitpost. Tequepis Canyon Trail leads from the topmost of three group camps -- Used to be called Camp Cielo -- (across Route 154 from Lake Cachuma (camping there as well)) up the canyon through brush to the road near Broadcast and Santa Ynez Peaks. I was the caretaker at Camp Cielo for 5 years in my youth.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Dec 24, 2007 12:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: From Lake Cachuma

Thanks, for checking the page out. I have been wanting to do Tequepis for awhile. It must have been fun working at Camp Cielo with the mountains all around. I love the mountains in Santa Barbara County.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.