Black Mountain (Clearwater Mountains)

Black Mountain (Clearwater Mountains)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.87890°N / 115.5508°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7077 ft / 2157 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black LakeBlack Lake below Black Mountain

Black LakeBlack Lake
Black Buttes From The NorthwestBlack Buttes
Lost Pete CreekLost Pete Creek
Black Mountain LookoutSummit Lookout
East Side of Black ButtesEast side

Though the summit is only a little above 7,000 feet elevation, Black Mountain is truly a spectacular mountain for a number of reasons. Its one of the highest mountains in the North Fork Clearwater basin and rises an impressive 5,460 vertical feet above the lush rainforests at the mouth of Isabella Creek, which enters the North Fork at the southwest foot of the mountain. The eight mile hike on the trail climbs 5,327 feet in approximately three horizontal miles from the trailhead to the summit. The mountain also has an impressive prominence of 2,217 feet.

Black Mountain is the high point in the Mallard Larkins Pioneer Area. This approximately 30,000 acre primitive area has been proposed for wilderness designation by the Forest Service for many years. Formal designation has never occurred, however it is managed similar to a wilderness area. This area offers some of the premier back county recreation opportunities in north Idaho with many peaks, canyons and 19 glacial lakes to explore. During peak hiking season, the main peaks of this area along the St. Joe/Clearwater divide get moderate to high use, but the north slopes of Black Mountain are extremely remote with some of the upper streams and rugged canyons going years without a visitor.
In addition to the impressive physical features, the mountain has a number of other noteworthy characteristics. Being extremely steep, most of the mountain cannot be seen from below; in fact the first time the summit is visible is basically as you arrive. There are two satellite peaks (West Sister, 6,721 and Pt. 6,686) and numerous ridges complexes and seven large drainages coming off the mountain. These drainages are very steep and initially formed of steep avalanche chutes with nearly continuous waterfalls, some of which drop hundreds or even thousands of feet with small breaks. The north and east faces of the summit are formed by high cliffs, with the north and northeast cliffs being particularly large and dramatic.

The mountain is very wet with the lower slopes being covered with a deep rainforest of western redcedar, grand fir and Pacific yew over a lush floor of sword fern, maidenhair fern and lady fern. In this zone, the high precipitation and warm low elevations provide and inland maritime climate that supports a high number of plants, mosses, lichens and even insects that are disjunct from their typical range in the wet forests west of the Cascade Mountains. Most of these species occur in the low moist forests, but a few prefer subalpine forests and montane grasslands of the upper elevations. Some are common, but others along with some endemic and widespread rare species give this section of the North Fork of the Clearwater the greatest concentration of rare species in Idaho. The inland existence of some of these coastal species has been discovered only in recent years and it is likely that more will be yet in the future.

Above the extensive cedar and grand fir old growth forests, the slope increases, causing soils to be more drained and thus support drier forest vegetation. The trees remain mixed conifer, but Douglas fir becomes dominant. This species typically lives 90-100 years in this area before succumbing to insect and disease outbreaks. The loss of this forest layer is evident here with large holes in the forest canopy and heavy layers of dead wood on the floor. At approximately 4,000 ft. the more gentle slopes return and the largest cedar of the route become common. Generally such old growth forests are in the moist, sheltered valley bottoms rather than mid-slope on the mountains. Many of these trees are 3-4 feet in diameter and probably 200 – 400 years old. At about 5,000 feet a zone of transition between mid-elevation mixed coniferous forests merges into open subalpine slopes with rocky soils, shrub glades, talus and the first subalpine tree species such as mountain hemlock and subalpine fir. Soon after the mountain hemlock become dominant, forming park-like forest over huckleberry, bear grass and wood rush. In many areas these trees are large and old, but near the summit the forest becomes more open with stunted trees and numerous rocky outcrops.

Black Lake is an extremely beautiful lake penned in by numerous interesting quartzite bluffs and backed by dramatic cliffs of the Black Mountain summit mass. There are some good scattered campsites.

Avoid taking off cross country from the trails. This mountain is huge in area and very steep and brushy and the path of least resistance often quickly takes one into drainages that are very deep and full of wet, criss-crossing down logs, devils club and waterfalls. Climbing out is extremely difficult and passage down stream impossible. Its an easy place to get lost and away from the trails the only way out is sometimes very dangerous.

Getting There

Old Growth Mountain HemlockTrail through hemlock
Subalpine Forest Near the SummitNear the summit
Black Mountain WaterfallsMid-south slope

If coming from Lewiston, follow Highway 12 to the town of Orofino and turn east across the bridge over the Clearwater River into downtown. Follow the main road through town (Michigan Street) and climb the grade east of town. This road is paved, but some places have a rough surface and some bad corners. Keep on this road for 26.5 miles to where it forms a T at the Bald Mountain Ski Area turn off. Take a left on the main road (Highway 11) and continue 7.3 miles to the next T at the small town of Headquarters. Headquarters is a small group of buildings that is an administrative center for the Potlatch Corporation; there are no services. Turn left at Headquarters (forest road 247) and continue for 24 miles to the bridge of the North Fork Clearwater River. On the north side of the bridge, turn right and go approximately 2 miles to Canyon Work Center. Go approximately a couple hundred yards past the work center administrative entrance to the trailhead parking on the right. This also serves as public parking to the Forest Service office at the work center, though the building is barely visible towards the river through the dense trees. The Black Mountain trail (#396) is well signed on the north side of the road, immediately to the west of the parking area. It’s a steep 8+ mile hike to the summit.

If coming from the south, take Highway 12 to Kamiah and continue approximately 15 miles to Highway 11, which crosses the Clearwater River to the right at Greer. Then climb the steep 8 mile Greer Grade and continue on about 12 miles to Weippe. Here turn left and follow the signs to Pierce. Continue through Pierce about 5 miles to the Bald Mountain Ski Area turn off and then follow directions above. One can also skip the Greer Grade and continue to Orofino on Highway 12 and follow the directions above.

Trail is generally easy to follow, but many areas are very steep and because there is little traffic on the mountain the brush closes up the path in many areas. In some particularly steep places be sure not to step off the obscured narrow path. The person at the lookout said she had only four visitors so far this year. The last year she worked on this mountain she only had four visitors all summer (mid-90s). There is nothing to be accessed on this trail except the lookout and lake and most people don’t want to do the rigorous hike. The lower elevations probably see some increased use during the hunting season. With the modern use of helicopters in transporting fire fighters, crews don’t use trails as often as they once did. The result is many trails in this area being slowly reclaimed by the forest.

Part of the trail is not where its indicated on map. The southwest corner of section 27 shows the trail entering a long series of tight switchbacks straight up the steep slope. The trail has been relocated. After the first few turns in this stretch the trail continues east to the broad ridge line just inside the boundary of section 26. From there it gradually climbs to the junction of the trail between the lookout and Black Lake. From this point the summit is a steep mile west through an open subalpine slope and it’s about ½ mile east to the lake.

Extended hikes are possible to the east toward The Nub and north to the main divide of the Mallard Larkins Pioneer Area. However some of the trails may be sketchy in some areas. Bring along a good map and compass and be prepared for the possibility of doing your own route finding.

The Views From The Summit

The views from the summit of Black Mountain provide excellent views of the typical north central Idaho terrain of endless forested mountains broken up by deep river canyons.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

People wanting to car camp and have a long day hike can use the very scenic Aquarius Campground, which is a couple miles west of the trailhead or immediately upriver from the bridge crossing the North Fork Clearwater River. This campground is situated in old growth western red cedar against the rapids of the North Fork. There are only a few campsites so arrive early, especially if visiting the area on a weekend. There are some nice dispersed camping areas several miles up the river, some with nice sandy beaches. These are often full as well. Washington Creek campground is much larger and one can usually find a spot there, but this is getting quite a ways up river from Black Mountain. To the south of the river there are many dispersed campsites off the paved road along Beaver Creek that would provide good car camping. But most of these are filled up with loggers who work on the Potlatch timber lands in the area.

Backpackers can hike into Black Lake at the base of the summit pyramid where there are a few areas to pitch a tent. It is also possible to camp at the summit, where there is a good spring just over the east side. Other than these options, there is very little in the area for camping on the mountain.

When to Climb

The upper elevations get lots of snow and hiking to the summit before mid-July may be difficult some years. Most precipitation on the lower elevations is in the form of rain, thus the interesting montane rainforests on the lower slopes can easily be explored in winter. Of course this is depending on road conditions into the North Fork, which are not always open.

Mountain Conditions and Information

Go to the mountain prepared for variable conditions. With over a mile of vertical lift, mountain temperatures can vary dramatically.

Contact the North Fork Ranger District of the Clearwater National Forest for information and current conditions.

North Fork Ranger District
12730B Highway 12
Orofino, ID 83544
(208) 476-4541

Canyon Work Center (summer only)
(208) 476-8306

NOAA Forecast

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

JosephNN - Aug 2, 2015 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Black Mountain 2015

As of August 1, 2015, everything in mrh's original post remains spot on. The slopes were fairly dry come August. The Black Mountain trail was recently dressed by the Forest Service, but only 1.3 miles of the Nub trail. The outlook at the top is still actively manned. Black Lake offers the best fishing in the afternoon. The cutthroat are stocked about every three years. Creeks on the map were all running at a trickle. Two items to be aware of- 1, the trail coming out of Black Mountain which curves around the South slope of East Sister is broken. A pal and I ended up expending a good deal of energy braking brush and changing elevation to reconnect. We picked the trail back up where it intersects Lower Twin Creek just after a marshy flat at 6000 feet. After that, the trail is easy to follow up to the Nub. We didn't go beyond that point. 2, Cliff Lake was not accessible for us. We tried hard to insert ourselves at three points from the grassy ridge to the W-NW. It was far too difficult, steep, and dangerous with our packs, and we were low on water, so we had to make the hike back to Lower Twin Creek. With careful planning a person should be able to reach Cliff Lake. The lake was last stocked in the 70's and should have Westslope cutthroat. There was a campfire on the grassy ridge West of Cliff which looked to have been used within the last year. When we made our way back to Black Lake the following day, we were surprised to find people camping + 6 pack horses. It turned out to be a local logger and his family, from Orofino who visits the lake a few times each year. He was just as surprised to see us, since he's never encountered anyone in the area other than the lookout person. In our conversation, he did mention that he hunts throughout the entire Larkins area, but just North of Black Mountain is much too dry and hard for his horses to make regular trips. When we mentioned that the Forest Service wasn't very helpful in answering questions about the area, the local complained that the Forest Service hires young people from back East who know little about the area, and that their priorities have shifted away from maintaining trails. It took 5 hours to reach Black Lake from the trail head, and about 3 hours to descend back to our vehicle. In the end, our knees, ankles, and shoulders were shot. We were in awe at mrh having completed the Nub loop while visiting peaks in just one day.

napalmer927 - Jul 23, 2019 8:47 am - Voted 10/10

Black Mtn/Hearts Pass/Nub 2019

Just wanted to post an update. I went up the Black Mtn Trail on July 20, 2019. Up to the lookout was in very good condition. Black Lake Trail over to the Nub Connector was faint and difficult to follow at times. From here I went over to Isabella Creek, and those 2 miles were a little overgrown towards the end, but not too bad. I only remember one big blowdown. Down the Isabella Creek Trail, it was overgrown in spots with a few big blowdowns, but none that were hard to get over. Easy to follow with multiple creek crossings. Stayed dry by rock hopping. Up Elmer Creek Trail, there was recent trail work done and it was in great condition up until the last water crossing. Maybe a mile before Smith Ridge. For the next quarter mile, I didn't see any sign of a trail and had to do some serious bushwhacking. Once I was through that part, the trail was faint up to the ridge but easy to follow. From here all the way back to the Nub Trail past Larkins Peak and Heart Lake, it's free and clear. The trail up to the Nub was in good shape, and the first mile or so on the way down was clear. However, from there most of the way to the road at the bottom, it was very overgrown with 3 foot high vegetation. I managed to stay on trail the whole time, but it was pretty slow going. Hopefully the Forest Service has plans to clear the Nub Trail this year, but it might not get enough use to be a priority. Overall, this double loop is 45 miles and it took me just over 15 hours to complete.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.