Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.93333°N / 116.675°W
Activities Activities: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Route(s)

Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+

Mount Murchison is best known for its coveted ice routes located in three large cirques on its western flank, most popular of which is Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+. Give Mount Murchison another 64’ in elevation and it would become less obscure along the Icefields Parkway in Banff National Park, one of four connecting national parks making up the central Canadian Rockies. Much of the native population originally believed Mount Murchison to be the highest point in the Canadian Rockies. Mount Murchison was one of the early mountains named by James Hector in 1858 after a geologist who served as president of the Royal Geographical Society and assisted Hector in the Palliser Expedition. The first ascent was made in 1902 by Collie, Stutfield, Weed and Kaufmann. Mount Murchison has two real summits, northwest and southeast, but its upper elevations are made up of seven distinctly named towers, Engelhard, Gest, Feuz, Bison, Cromwell, Hall and Southeast, all over 10,000’.
Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+
Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+
Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+
Murchison Falls, III, WI 4+

Besides waterfall ice routes, including the classic Murchison Falls, Mount Murchison itself is rarely ascended via an obscure scramble route. A mountain of the same name in Tasmania serves as the tallest mountain in the West Coast Range of Australia. As of 2007, there are 18 published ice routes on Mount Murchison ranging from WI 2 to WI 6.

Routes Listed from South to North
  • Transparent Fool, 45m, IV, WI 5

  • Bison Falls, 80m, III, WI 3

  • Rip Off, 30m, IV, WI 4R

  • Jeu d’Enfant, 120m, V, WI 6

  • Balfour Wall, 20m, II, WI 2-4 to M7

  • Cosmic Messenger, 60m, III, WI 5

  • Imaginary Voyage, 55m, III, WI 3

  • Laughter in the Dark, 45m, IV, WI 4

  • El Coco, 45m, III, WI 4

  • American Revolution, 50m, III, WI 5+

  • Syndrome, 100m, III WI 6

  • Aboriginal Genocide, 90m, III, WI 5

  • Transparent Fool, 45m, IV, WI 5

  • Alien Abduction, 30m, III, WI 5

  • Murchison Falls, 180m, III, WI 4+
  • - You gain over 2000’ just to get to the base of Murchison Falls. If breaking trail, it can be a tough approach. This is such a common objective however that you will normally find broken trail through the snow. Due to deadfall, skis are not recommended. We had it to ourselves on a Saturday in mid-March and found the top pitch somewhat precarious, i.e. wet and hard to find good ice. This 4th pitch was a full 60m+ of WI 4+. After some solo ice, we completed the route in three long pitches including two that required slight simul climbing. The route requires four rappels, all on rock stations (if not buried). There are three published accident reports relating to this route including at least one known fatality.
  • Virtual Reality, 160m, IV, WI 6

  • Lessons of Oka, 70m, III, 5.7, WI 4

  • Zapatista Liberation, 90m, III, WI 5

Getting There

The Trans-Canada Highway runs from Calgary through Banff and Yoho National Parks on its way to Vancouver. As you pass through Lake Louise heading westbound, you want to exit onto the Icefields Parkway (Highway 93) towards Jasper National Park. The Murchison Falls approach is approximately 10.3kms north of the Waterfowl Lake Campground. In the winter there is no parking outside of pulling off to the side of the road or what is left of it via the snow bank which is commonly done for many of the routes on the parkway. This is a several hour drive from Canmore. Warning: The Icefields Parkway can be closed sporadically in the winter due to avalanches blocking the road as well as unsafe travel conditions.

Red Tape

You will be required to purchase a national park pass as you enter Banff National Park coming from the east on the Trans-Canada. This pass is good for all four national parks. If you plan many visits to Canadian National Parks within one year, you should purchase an annual pass. There are no permit requirements to climb in Banff or Yoho National Parks, but all camping is regulated. There is also a backcountry permit required if you plan on spending a night in the backcountry versus the conventional campsites. This can be obtained via the parks website which is included in the camping section below. The huts are managed by the Alpine Club of Canada versus the Parks. The Alpine Club of Canada headquarters is located in Canmore, AB; the Banff National Park headquarters is located in Banff, AB; and Yoho National Park headquarters is located in Field, BC. You will drive through the manned national park kiosks as you enter Banff National Park on the Trans-Canada. You will drive through a kiosk area again as you gain the Icefields Parkway. However, it is normally not manned in the winter.

When to Climb

I climbed Murchison Falls in March. You can obviously climb all winter and the avalanche danger is comparatively low regarding Mount Murchison ice routes compared to most objectives up and down the Icefields Parkway. However, I did observe a wind loaded cornice ready to slide down the left side of the route. The approach slopes could also present some avalanche concern. As of 2007, there are four published accident reports related to Mount Murchison waterfall ice, none of which relate to avalanches.

Camping/Lodging

The Rampart Creek Hostel is several miles north on the Icefields Parkway and serves as a good base for all waterfall ice climbs in the area. Rates for dorm style were $23-$27 in 2006. It has 24 beds and reservations are recommended. They were having problems with water and power in 2007 and were closed periodically as a result. It would be advised to call ahead, (866) 762-4122.

Mountain Conditions

The Yoho National Park and Banff National Park websites have weather, wildlife reports, trail closures, etc. Outside of the parks websites, Canadian Avalanche Association is also useful, particularly for winter travel. Canadian Alpine Accident Reports is also extremely relevant.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.