Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.30320°N / 123.1047°W
Additional Information County: Jackson
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4494 ft / 1370 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Isabelle is located in the Applegate Valley in Jackson County, Oregon. Nearby peaks include Stein Butte , Collings Mountain , Red Buttes , and Baldy Peak . Mount Isabelle is located in the Siskiyou Mountains and near the Rogue River Siskiyou National Forest . the peak is on Bureau of Land Management land and is managed by the Medford office.
Mt. Isabelle

The Siskiyou Mountains are unusual because they run east and west to form a bridge connecting the Coast Range and the Cascade Mountains. This connection allows plant species from these different regions to meet and intermix. Mt Isabelle is mostly covered with a mixed conifer forest on its lower flanks and near the summit, the forest thins and it is mostly brush and grass covered.

Mt. Isabelle is ranked #44 on the Oregon Prominence list with 2,294ft of prominence. Click here for more info on Summit Post and Oregon Prominence.

Getting There

To find the trailhead from Interstate 5 in Medford take either the North or South exit from I-5 and follow the signs to Jacksonville and Hwy 238. Jacksonville is a quaint historical town located about 6 miles west of Medford. The whole town of Jacksonville is on the National Historic Register because of its well preserved buildings from the 1850’s when gold was discovered nearby. After driving through the middle of Jacksonville continue on Hwy 238 towards Grants Pass. About 4.7 miles from the stop sign on Hwy 238 and Oregon Street, turn right on the paved Forest Creek Road.
Mt. Isabelle

Forest Creek Road is paved for the first mile and then turns to a great dirt road. There are many homes along here on both sides of the road, so watch for pedestrians, animals, and OHV’s. At 2.5 miles from Hwy 238 stay left and at 4.2 miles turn left on Oregon Belle Road. Oregon Belle Road is paved, but it is narrow and crooked. Stay on Oregon Belle for 2.4 miles up to a ridgeline saddle. Turn right on the gravel road and stop at the gate about 100yds up the road. This is the trailhead and the elevation here is 3,510ft.


Red Tape

No permits required unless you want a campfire.

Bureau of Land Management, Medford

Medford Office
3040 Biddle Road
Medford, OR 97504
(541) 618-2200
Email: Medford

Grants Pass
Interagency Office
2164 NE Spalding Ave
Grants Pass, OR 97526
(541) 471-6500

Camping

There are lots of camping areas within a few miles of the trailhead, including areas around Applegate Lake. Some of these campgrounds are closed in the winter, so call ahead to find out about access.

There really is no backpack camping available along the trail until you get to the summit. This is really a dayhike unless you want to experience the outdoors.

Follow these links for more camping information.

BLM Camping and Recreational Areas

Forest Service Camping Info

When to Climb

This mountain is accessible year round.

Winter snow rarely accumulates to more than 6 inches in the winter.

Summer hiking could be quite hot. The mountain is not tall enough to get above the 100 degree plus temperatures in the valley. This would be a good morning hike.

Other trails in the area

Mountain Conditions

This mountain is accessible in the winter and all year around. The snow rarely accumulates to more than 6 inches in the winter.

For current weather conditions in Medford follow this link

Weather Conditions


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Siskiyou MountainsMountains & Rocks