Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.19210°N / 116.7091°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 9113 ft / 2778 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

San Gorgonio Mountain


Onyx Peak sits high over the rugged eastern desert side of the San Bernardino Mountains. On it's tower crusted summit resides some of the oldest Junipers in all of Southern California. Also with the Junipers is four different species of pine, including a few rare Limber Pines. The prominence of Onyx Peak is P633. The summit has great views of the western Mojave and the rugged eastern slope of the San Bernardino Mountains.

Getting There

Onyx Summit


Take the I-10 through San Bernardino getting off on the Orange exit, also marked SR-38. Take SR-38 through the suburbs and up into the mountains for 40 miles. At 40 miles you will reach Onyx Summit 8443 feet with a dirt road leading off on the right. Park here without blocking the gate. Hike up the road and take the quick left. Hike up the road for about 2 miles until a fork. Take the right road with a gate for another .5 miles. The summit can is at the most northern high tower complex.

5 miles round trip, 700ft. of gain

If the gate is open at the turnout you can drive all the way to the summit.
This route would also make a really nice mountain bike ride.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass to park anywhere along the route. Adventure Passes are available at the Mill Creek ranger station at the lower reaches of SR-38.

Camping

Camping is available at many of the campgrounds you will pass along SR-38. Also if you continue on SR-38 you can drive into Big Bear Lake for many overnight options.

External Links

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.

Onyx Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

For more information on mountain biking in the Big Bear area check adventurehostel.com.