Bald Mountain (Sonoma, CA)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.45750°N / 122.5094°W
Additional Information County: Sonoma
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2729 ft / 832 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bald Mountain (Sonoma, CA)
Bald Mountain is located in Sonoma County, California. Bald Mountain is located just a few miles southeast of Hood Mountain. Hood Mountain is the last ranked prominence peak in California appearing at #169 on the list with 1,970 ft of prominence. Bald Mountain is only 1 ft shorter than Hood Mountain and since it is virtually the same height as Hood Mountain, it should also be scaled to claim the prominence for this cell on the California Prominence Map .

Bald Mountain is located in the California Sugarloaf Ridge State Park . This park has many hiking trails and lots of wildlife for your viewing pleasure. If you are really into viewing, visit the Ferguson Observatory located in the park.


Getting There

Bald Mountain (Sonoma, CA)
The trailhead for Bald Mountain is located in Sugarloaf Ridge State Park . California Highway 12 connects Sonoma and Santa Rosa. Take Hwy 12 east from Santa Rosa or west from Sonoma. About 10 miles from either city, signed Adobe Canyon Road heads north from Hwy 12. This intersection is less than a mile from the little town of Kenwood. This intersection is signed for the Sugarloaf Ridge State Park also.

This little road gets crooked within a mile of the highway, so slow down and watch for bicyclists on the roadway. At 2.2 miles from Hwy 12 pass a trailhead for Hood Mountain and at 3.3 miles enter the Sugarloaf Ridge State Park. Pay the $6 for day use and procede into the park about 100yds to a large parking lot on the left. The trailhead leaves this parking lot and the elevation here is about 1,205 ft.

See the Route Description for info on the trail and finding the summit of Bald Mountain.

free parking Reply | Delete

"Avoid the 6$ fee to park your car!
Traveling along Adobe Canyon Road, you pass a major turnout on the left side (Parking for the Hood Mountain trail). The second major turnout on the left that you pass is the cheapskate trailhead for Bald Mountain. Park and start walking along the trail that takes you uphill.
When you get to the gravel road, turning right will take you to the park visitor center where you can get a park map (Or look at one posted on the bulletin board), turning left onto the gravel road will get you to the top of Bald Mountain." Comment by SPer nikolai


Red Tape

Bald Mountain (Sonoma, CA)
No permits required, but you do have to pay the $6 day use fee to park in the state park. Maps and other information are available at the nearby Visitor Center.


Camping

There is camping available across the road from the trailhead in the Sugarloaf Ridge State Park .

There really is plenty of room on the summit to pitch a tent if you are so inclined. It could be very windy on the summit at times. Check with the ranger in the state park before you plan on this activity.

When to Climb

This mountain is accessible year round. Winter snow rarely accumulates to more than 6 inches. During the winter there could be lots of rain and high winds, so make good decisions when you chose to climb.

Mountain Conditions

This mountain is accessible in all seasons

For current weather conditions in Santa Rosa and Sonoma follow these links.

Sonoma

Santa Rosa

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Apr 10, 2007 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: free parking

Thanks, I added your comment to the main page.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.