Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.34300°N / 117.5856°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 6880 ft / 2097 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mojave to the north









Circle Mountain is a prominent peak, atleast P795, on the San Andreas Fault zone on the eastern backside of the San Gabriel Mountains. It has a blend of Montane Tranverse and Mojave plant life. Beautiful stands of Pinyon Pine, Fremontodendrons, Mountain Mahogany, and little Lupines populate the slopes of Circle. On the summit there is expansive views of the western Mojave, San Gabriel high country, and the distant San Bernardio Mountains. Circle Mountain is a quick jaunt located just outside of Wrightwood. It is a good peak to combine with Gobblers Knob and Ralston Peak.

Getting There

From the I-15 take the SR-138 Exit and go west on the SR-138. Go west 1.25 miles until you reach Lone Pine Canyon Road on the left. Take Lone Pine Canyon Road for about 7.5 miles where it reaches it's crest. At the crest there is a quick right to a dirt road, on the opposite side there is a small turnout where low clearance vehicles should park. If you have a high clearance vehicle continue down the dirt road about 500 feet to a parking area.

Route

Route down

From the parking area drop down in the quick shallow saddle. The firebreak heads straight up from here, do not take the dirtbike trail to the left. Gain the steep fire break and continue on a good trail to the summit area. At the summit area take a use trail to the right across the broad brushy summit. Round the large clump of bushes and you will see a triangle survey sign, ten feet from that there is another one tucked into the growing brush. Sign in and walk the summit area for great views. To locate the summit markers, continue pass the triangle signs to the slightly lower summit due east, about 300 feet away.

Round trip 2+ miles, and 800-900 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass to park at the turnout. Adventure Passes are available at many gas stations and grocery stores in Wrightwood and at the SR-138 Exit from the I-15.

External Links

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions and camping information.

Circle Mountain is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cab

cab - Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

New Gate

There is now a gate right at the turnoff from Lone Pine Canyon Road that stops you from driving on the dirt road to the parking area. Not a big deal since you only have to walk another 500 feet or so, but there is only parking for a few cars.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.