Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.30250°N / 117.4952°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4559 ft / 1390 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ralston Peak


Ralston Peak is the last peak of the San Gabriel Mountains before it plunges into the Cajon area. Ralston Peak has a prominence of P839 and has great views of the interior of the Cajon Pass and of Morman Rocks. Ralston Peak use to be found on old San Bernardino National Forest Maps. For many decades now it has been omitted from the Forest Service maps. On the old maps nearby Mormon Rocks use to be called the Rock Candy Mountains. So things have changed quite a bit but Ralston still stands high in the Cajon. About three years ago fire swept the peak of it's dense brush. When I first ascended it I found a old burnt out summit can. There was no contents and I replaced the can with a new one. I would like to see this forgotten peak brought back into the San Gabriel Mountains peakbagger loop. Due to the short nature of this hike it would be nice to combine it with hikes of nearby Gobblers Knob and Circle Mountain.

Getting There

From the I-15 take the SR-138 Exit and go west on the SR-138. Go west 1.25 miles until you reach Lone Pine Canyon Road on the left. Take Lone Pine Canyon Road for about 2 miles through curvy turns until you reach the turnoff for Swarthout Canyon Road on the immediate left. Turn left and drive down to the turnout on the left.

Route

West Slope

From the parking area hike out across the flat area west of Ralston until you can ascend up the obvious eastridge slope. Gain the main ridge line and ascend it to the false summit seen in this picture. From the false summit take the connecting ridge to the highpoint.

Round trip 2 miles, elevation gain 900 feet.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass to park at the turnout. Adventure Passes are available at many gas stations and grocery stores in Wrightwood and at the SR-138 Exit from the I-15.

External Links

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.

The San Antonio Cell of the Calfornia Mountain Atlas.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tarol

tarol - Sep 14, 2008 9:34 pm - Voted 9/10

No Adventure Pass needed...

...to park here anymore! See this website for where you need the AP in the area. Also, this peak is on the current SBNF Map

theronmoon

theronmoon - Sep 15, 2008 10:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: No Adventure Pass needed...

Thanks for the info. This little peak reappears once again. It looks like their using their old maps on the website. Very cool. Its a nice little forgotten place in the heart of the Cajon. I drove pass it yesterday and the brush is starting to get thick again.

SeanCucamonga

SeanCucamonga - Oct 29, 2015 3:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Starting from PCT

The girlfriend and I started from the PCT crossing at Swarthout Canyon, and used the trail to reach a small but steep spur Ridge, which goes up between two small gullies to the main west Ridge route. The register cans were empty. But there is a geocache hidden in the brush.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3