Bird Spring Range High Point & Bird Peak

Bird Spring Range High Point & Bird Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.89265°N / 115.38981°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5695 ft / 1736 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Bird Spring Range is a rarely visited range lying SW of the Las Vegas metro area. It runs North-South starting from Blue Diamond Road (HWY 160) all the way down to Goodsprings, NV. Limestone is the main rock formation here.

The Bird Spring Range High Point offers superb views of Las Vegas. This would be a great place to hike up and watch a Full Moon rise over the city and the city lights come on at night. Mt. Charleston and the Spring Range is gorgeous from here as well, especially when the peaks are snow capped. Just to the west is Mt. Potosi. To the south and west are great views of many other desert peaks in the region.

Lying just south of the High Point is Bird Peak, which shows up on some topographic maps as “Bird.” This is a nice short hike along the ridge line about a mile south of the high point. I posted these two mountains together instead of separately since they is not much elevation difference and since they are along the same ridgeline.

To give you an idea how rarely these are climbed, the High Point's register was last signed on May Day, 2005. Bird Peak's register had not been signed since 1999.


Getting There

Bird Spring Range HP and Bird PeakBird Spring Range















High Clearance Vehicle Needed

From Las Vegas Drive South along I-15 and take Blue Diamond Road (exit 33) towards Pahrump (west). Set your odometer to “0” here. Drive for 16.2 miles and turn left on a dirt road heading south here. (This is just pass a “passing lane” sign.)

After 19.4 miles you’ll pass over Cotton Wood Pass. Continue south. After 23.9 miles turn left onto a dirt road heading right towards the Bird Spring Range. After 25.6 miles you will hit a fork in the road. Take the right fork. Continue driving through a wide wash until you hit 26.3 miles. There is another fork here, which marks the parking location.

Alternatively, if you are driving from the south you can take I-15 to exit 12 at Jean, NV. Set your odometer to “0.” Drive East on HWY 161 (Sandy Valley Rd) towards Goodsprings. Drive for 5.5 miles and turn right onto Good Springs Bypass (also called Gravel Haul rate). Follow this road for 1.9 miles and then turn right. Drive another 1.3 miles along this road and then turn right heading North on a dirt road. The Bird Spring Range will be on your right (east). Drive for another 3.0 miles and then turn right (east) on a dirt road that heading straight towards the Bird Spring Range. Drive for another 1.7 miles to a fork, take the right fork. Continue another 0.7 miles to another fork. This is where you park.

Note: the road goes up the left fork here up the ridge for a ways, but it is not smart to drive up here as it is very rough and steep.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

This lies on BLM land. Camping would not be a problem in this remote area.

The Hike

Bird Spring Range HP








The hike starts heading East up the ridge along a trail, which is the road fading from the parking spot. This road turns into a trail that leads you all the way to the summit of the Bird Spring High Point. It is about a ¾ hike with just over 800 feet of elevation gain.
You can continue south along the ridge to Bird Peak which is another ¾ of a mile south along the ridge.

Here are the details of this route.


GPS TraceGPS Trace

Weather


Summit Shots

Summit Shot on Bird Spring Range High Point

On Bird Peak















Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 4, 2008 10:38 am - Voted 10/10

It's worth noting that...

the approach from Goodsprings is shorter (in terms of mileage, and time - 15 minutes quicker to/from downtown Las Vegas) and the road is significantly better than the approach from SR-160.

K9H2OBearer

K9H2OBearer - Feb 18, 2013 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

not so many rights?

We came from Goodsprings and the route description was largely good except for the note about taking a right after the 1.3 mile distance. Maybe there is a bear-right at about that distance, but there is most definitely an actual road to the right at about that distance that could throw someone off. I had the parking spot noted on my GPS (thanks to the coordinates given), so could see that there was a better road farther north on the map going to the parking point. So if coming from Goodsprings, consider going up the Haul Road, going right at 1.9 miles (this is the pretty large intersection with the left road going on toward Potosi) and then continue going north on that fairly rough road for somewhat over 4 miles. Then take a right on the obvious road heading up to the range.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.