Rhinog Fawr

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 52.84073°N / 3.99508°W
Additional Information County: Gwynedd
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2362 ft / 720 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nestled neatly between the two glacial cwms of Bwlch Tyddiad and Cwm Nantcol rises one of Wales’ most enigmatic but often overlooked little mountains, Rhinog Fawr. Its origins are ancient, being of far greater antiquity than the rocks of the surrounding area. Before the Glyder, Cadair Idris and even Snowdon where thrust up by unremitting tectonic forces, the gritstone rocks of the Rhinogydd stood aloft, and although the natural courses of erosion have now worn them down to mere shadows of their former selves, they remain distinctive and immemorial characters in the Snowdonian landscape.

Along with its southern sister, Rhinog Fach, the mountain lends its name to its home range, the Rhinogydd; but Rhinog Fawr isn’t the highest mountain in the collective, this honour goes to Y Llethr, a little further south again. Despite this, Rhinog Fawr is the better known of the two, and consequently receives more traffic, albeit in Welsh terms, an almost insignificant volume.

Its slopes, which are often steep, are covered by a thick blanket of heather and rock. Paths and other linear features are few and far between, and anyone wishing to make a visit to the mountain should be a navigator of some competence. Rock climbing, as all things, came late to Rhinog Fawr, and it wasn’t until the final years of the 20th century that any exploration of note took place. Now, for those willing to commit to a long approach, and to accept that finding the right crag might be an endeavour in itself, there’s plenty on offer here. Plenty on offer that is, if the climber is a good one; for the crags and cragletts of the mountain are typically Spartan in character, and do not surrender their treasures as readily as those of the surrounding area.

The weather will play a major role in the success of any trip to the area. For the hiker, poor weather means having to rely heavily on the mountain’s complex and delicate topography for guidance, while for the climber, even a small amount of moisture can erase the rock of friction and render it wholly unscaleable. Timing, therefore, is key to success, and since Rhinog Fawr’s close proximity to the sea means it bears the brunt of the area’s climate, windows of opportunity are often frustratingly brief. A well timed expedition however, can reap some truly wondrous rewards.

The Rhinogydd. From left to right - Y Garn, Diffwys, Y Llethr, Rhinog Fach and Rhinog Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)

Routes

Hiking

Cwm Bychan Route

The route starts on the western side of the Rhinogydd at the Cwm Bychan car park (SH 644 313) and follows Bwlch Tyddiad and The Roman Steps up to Llyn Du, gradually gaining around 360 metres in altitude. From here the summit can be reached, either by circumventing the crags below the summit, or by a quick scramble up a short gully, to a broad terrace at around 600 metres, and then up a steep braided path to the top.

Graig Ddu-Isaf Route

The route starts on the eastern side of the Rhinogydd at the Graig Ddi-Isaf car park (SH 680 300), and weaves its way through a coniferous forest to the fore-slopes of the mountain and Bwlch Tyddiad. It then makes its way up a boggy path to Llyn Du, where it joins the previously described route on its way to the summit.

Scrambling

South Face (Grade 3)

This is Rhinog Fawr’s only lengthy scramble, and begins at the narrowest point of Bwlch Drws Ardudwy. It ascends weaknesses in three tiers of short, steep crags, before reaching a wide, level, slabby ridge. It then ascends a series of broken crags, slabs and boulders to the Rhinog Fawr’s fore-summit, where the scrambling ends, and the true summit is just a short walk away.

Rhinog Fawr South Face (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog Fawr Fore Summit (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog Fawr South Face (Photo by Nanuls)

Rock Climbing

The climbing at Rhinog Fawr are split between a number of small, compact buttress which litter the northern and north-western slopes of the mountain.

Unless otherwise stated, routes are listed from left to right, and are graded and rated with the aid of the Climbers' Club Guide to Meirionnydd, so for full descriptions, please refer to this source. Technical grades are generally only given to climbs graded adjectivally as Hard Severe (HS) or above.

Please be aware that Rhinog Fawr is a trad climbing venue and bolting is strictly prohibited. Routes are rated using the British Adjectival Grading System. A conversion table of international climbing grades by SP member Corax is available HERE!

Route Symbols:

NO STARS A so-so route, neither good nor bad. Not unpleasant unless otherwise stated.
1 STAR A good route which is definitely worth a climb.
2 STARS A very good route, one of the best on the crag and well worthy of attention.
3 STARS An excellent route, one of the best in the area, and probably in Britain too.
NO RESTRICTIONS No Restrictions

Used to indicate that there are currently no restrictions, either seasonal, temporary or permanent, affecting a route.

RESTRICTIONS Restrictions

Used to indicate that there are restrictions, either seasonal, temporary or permanent, affecting a route. See the Red Tape and Access Section for more details.

Sectret Bay

A hidden gem – impossible to find from the west but obvious from the mountain's eastern approach. Stick this grid reference in your GPS for a hassle free (well perhaps not quite) location – SH 662 294.

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
1. Strong Heather 9m 1 VS 4a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
2. A Tomb with a View 9m 1 E2 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
3. Esoterica Hysterica 9m 1 E1 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Min Pistyll

A pleasantly situated and surprisingly easily located crag (SH 660 294) in the little valley that spills forth from Llyn Du.

Rhinog Fawr Min Pistyll (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinogydd Rhinogydd (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog Fawr Min Pistyll (Photo by Nanuls)
No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
4. Sych 8m 1 E1 5a 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
5. Boil and Bubble 8m 1 HVS 4c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
6. Ffrwd 9m 1 E4 6a 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
7. Cool Grit 9m 1 E3 5c 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
8. Emilya 9m 1 E2 5c 3 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
9. In an Ideal World 15m 1 E2 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
10. Left to Rust 9m 1 VS 4a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
11. A Right to Rust 9m 1 HS NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
12. Purple Pistyll 8m 1 E1 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
13. Fisteater 8m 1 VS 4c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Tan y Bwrdd

The steep west facing buttress (SH 661 293) some 400 metres east of Llyn Du.


No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
14. Airhead 20m 1 E3 6a 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
15. Groundpull 20m 1 E4 6a 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
16. Underfed 12m 1 E2 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS

Y Bwrdd

A fun little crag that sits atop a small platform above Tan y Bwrdd.

Rhinog Fach Rhinog Fach (Photo by Nanuls)
Cwm Nantcol Cwm Nantcol (Photo by Nanuls)
Y Garn Y Garn (Photo by Nanuls)

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
17. That Panoramic Picnic 7m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
18. Scoop of the Day 7m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
19. Lichen with Everything 6m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
20. Twopicks 6m 1 VS 4c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
21. Saliva 7m 1 E1 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
22. Wishbone 7m 1 E3 6a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
23. No Table Manners 6m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
24. Forked Tongue 6m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
25. Sidedish 6m 1 VS 4b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Lechau Mawr

The slabs and crags above Llyn Du (SH 657 292). They are split into a Lower and an Upper Bank, with Bebop to Splinter being on the lower one and Fear Test to Disco Bugs on the Upper one. Routes are described from right to left.

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
26. Bebop 28m 1 E2 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
27. Rock Steady 28m 1 E3 5c 3 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
28. Mist on the Mountain 40m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
29. The First Grassfield 20m 1 E2 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
30. The Bridge That Jonathan Built 40m 1 E2 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
31. Foreign Object 25m 1 E3 5c 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
32. Splinter 18m 1 E1 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
33. Fear Test 18m 1 E5 6a 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
34. Weeping Wall 15m 1 E2 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
35. For the Record 9m 1 E1 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
36. TLC 15m 1 E3 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
37. Peace in Mind 15m 1 E3 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
38. Quartz Storm 15m 1 E3 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
39. The Collectors' Pot 25m 1 E1 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
40. Dead Sea Scroll 37m 2 E4 5a, 6a 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
41. Don's Cairn 30m 1 E2 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
42. Disco Bugs 30m 1 E1 5a/b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS

Uwch y Llyn

Behind the western end of Llyn Du, a little way up Rhinog Fawr's slopes, is a 15 m high crag with twin arêtes (SH 655 293).

Rhinog Fawr Llechau Mawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Llyn Du Llyn Du (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog Fawr Uwch y Llyn (Photo by Nanuls)

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
43. Min Fawr 18m 1 E4 6a 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
44. Mur y Llyn 15m 1 E1 5a 3 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
45. Min Fach 15m 1 E2 5b 1 STAR NO RESTRICTIONS
46. Twyll y Llyn 15m 1 VS 4c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
47. Grab Some Holds and Pull in Them 7m 1 E1 6a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
48. White Sand 7m 1 E3 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Rhinog Fawr (West)

There is a nice little slab some 30 metres left of the Roman Nose.

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
49. Dr Butt Prefers Them Harder 8m 1 VD NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
50. Celtic Tiger 10m 1 E4 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
51. Scarred for Life 10m 1 E3 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
52. Bubbles Burst 12m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
53. Dynamo MC 12m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Carreg Shrek

On the same level as the preceding crag, but some 500m left of the crag to Rhinog Fawr, is a crag distinguishable by a central arête (SH 651 301).


Glowyn Lyn Glowyn Lyn (Photo by Nanuls)
Northern Rhinogs Rhinogydd (Photo by Nanuls)
Northern Rhinogydd Rhinogydd (Photo by Nanuls)

No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
54. Go West with the Wicked 8m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
55. Shrek 8m 1 HVS 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
56. Viper in Pink Satin 9m 1 E3 6a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
57. Nakedness Is Very Slow 8m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
58. Another Leap of Faith 8m 1 E3 6a 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
59. MiniFrocks Are Best 8m 1 VD NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
60. The Incredible Bounce of Marrow 8m 1 E2 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
61. Stubborn as an Ass 16m 1 HVS 5a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
62. Ass Landing 15m 1 VS 4b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
63. Mowing the Ass 13m 1 S NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Crags North of Gloyw Lyn

A small crag near Glowyn Lyn; find it at SH 645 304.


No. Name Length Pitches Adjectival Grade Technical Grade Quality Restrictions
64. Information Cocoons 15m 1 E1 5b NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
65. Plugs of Muscle 15m 1 E2/3 5c NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
66. Elegant in Socks 10m 1 D NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
67. Don't Ever Buy Teeth from a Catalogue 8m 1 D NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
68. Serpent Heart 8m 1 E2 5c 2 STARS NO RESTRICTIONS
69. Serpent Mistress 8m 1 E3 6a NO STARS NO RESTRICTIONS

Mountain Conditions

This section displays the mountain conditions for Snowdonia, in which Rhinog Fawr is located. Click on the widget for maps and further details.

This Snowdonia weather forecast is generated by the Met Office Weather Widget

When To Climb and Essential Gear

Rhinog Fawr can be climbed at anytime of the year however in poor conditions the mountain's rock routes are best avoided, particularly if the weather has been wet. March to April offer the most reliable conditions. Of course this all depends on ones ability as a mountaineer/climber, and what might be comfortable for some may seem daunting for others.

If your lucky enough to climb the mountain in winter conditions then an ice axe and crampons are essential.

Getting There

The Cwm Bychan (SH 644 313) and Maes-Garnedd (SH 641 269) car parks can be reached easily from the A496, which runs along the coast from Llanulltyd near Dolgellau in the south, to Blaenau Ffestiniog in the north.

There is also parking available at Graigddu-Isaf (SH 680 300) on the eastern side of the mountains, which can be reached after from the junction (SH 711 307) just south of Bronaber on the A470.

The area can also be reached by rail, however getting from the stations to the mountains themselves can be difficult as public transport is pretty infrequent and hitch hiking can be a nightmare.

LLyn Du Llyn Du (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinogs from Cwm Nantcol Rhinogydd (Photo by Nanuls)
Moelfre Moelfre (Photo by Nanuls)

Red Tape and Access

No red tape or access issues here!

For climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers, the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) runs a Regional Access Database, which holds mountain/crag specific information on matters of conservation and access, including issues such as nesting restrictions, nature designations and preferred parking.

Regional Access Database

If you are in any doubt about any particular access arrangement, or need to report an incident, you should contact your local BMC Access Representative or the BMC Access Officers for Wales: Elfyn Jones.

Camping and Accommodation

There’s an almost unlimited supply of accommodation within the Snowdonia National Park so it would be inappropriate to list it all here. For budget accommodation it’s worth checking out some of the following sites:

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Independent Hostel Guide

Campsites in Gwynedd

For more local options, there are a number of campsites that surround the range. There's a great little basic campsite at Cwm Bychan (SH 644 313) in the heart of the mountains and in an easy distance from both Rhinog Fawr and Rhinog Fach. Other nearby campsites can be found at Cae Gwyn Farm (SH 713 297) to the east of the range, and Merthyr Farm (SH 600 319) to the west.

Maps

Open Space Web-Map builder Code
Navigation Maps

Ordnance Survey 1:25k Explorer Series OL 18 Harlech, Porthmadog & Bala/Y Bala

Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger Series 124 Porthmadog & Dolgellau

Harvey Map Services 1:25k Rhinogs/Rhinogydd

Harvey Map Services/BMC 1:40k Snowdonia South

Road Maps

Ordnance Survey Tour Series 10 North & Mid Wales

Guidebooks

Snowdonia (Official National Park Guide) Snowdonia (Official National Park Guide) by Merfyn Williams with contributions from Ian Mercer and Jeremy Moore

A handy book full of useful information and interesting facts about the National Park.
The Mountains of England and Wales: Vol 1 Wales The Mountains of England and Wales: Vol 1 Wales by John and Ann Nuttall

A classic book covering the Welsh ‘Nuttalls’, which obviously include the Rhinogydd.
Hillwalking in Wales Vol 2 Hillwalking in Wales Vol 2 by Peter Hermon

The second of two guidebooks describing walking routes up every 2000-footer in Wales – covers the Moelwynion to the Tarrenydd.
Hillwalking in Snowdonia Hillwalking in Snowdonia by Steve Ashton

A guidebook to nearly 70 hillwalking routes throughout Snowdonia, including the Rhinogydd.
Scrambles and Easy Climbs in Snowdonia Scrambles and Easy Climbs in Snowdonia by John Sparks, Tom Hutton and Gerry Rawson

An excellent and well illustrated guide, which neatly links scrambling with rock climbing and in doing so covers some of the best long routes in Snowdonia.
Climbers Club Guide Wales: Meirionnydd Climbers Club Guide Wales: Meirionnydd by Martin Crocker, John Sumner, Terry Taylor, Elfyn Jones, with contributions from Mike Rosser, Mike Lewis and Dave Wrennall

The definitive climbing guide to the area. Contains detailed descriptions and excellent diagrams of all known rock routes in the Rhinogydd. An essential purchase if you plan to do a lot of climbing in Mid Wales.

External Links

Rhinogydd Rhinog Fawr (left) and Rhinog Fach (right) (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog Fach Rhinog Fach (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog FawrRhinog Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Rhinog FawrRhinog Fawr (Photo by Nanuls)

Government Bodies and Official Organisations

Snowdonia National Park Authority

Council for National Parks

Association of National Park Authorities

Natural Resources Wales

CADW

Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments in Wales

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust

Snowdonia Society

The National Trust

Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering Organisations and Companies

British Mountaineering Council

The Climbers’ Club

UKClimbing

Plas y Brenin National Mountain Centre

Snowdonia-Active.com

Hightreck Snowdonia

Weather

Mountain Weather Wales

Weather from the Met Office

BBC Weather

Tourist Information

Visit Wales

North Wales Tourism Partnership

Local Information from Gwynedd.com

Local Information from Snowdonia Wales Net

North Wales Index

Travel

Welsh Public Transport Information

UK Train Timetable

Accommodation

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Pete's Eats

Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel

Maps and Guidebooks

Ordnance Survey

Harvey Map Services

Cicerone Guidebooks

Climbers’ Club Guidebooks

Rockfax

North Wales Bouldering

Cordee Travel and Adventure Sports Bookshop

Wildlife and Conservation

Joint Nature Conservation Committee

Natur Gwynedd

North Wales Wildlife Trust

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.