Door Jamb Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.10352°N / 115.13947°W
Additional Information County: Canada
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6250 ft / 1905 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Mount McGillivray
Mount McGillivray from the summit of Door Jamb Mountain.
This is a very easy 1/2 day outing. Could be combined with an ascent of nearby Loader Peak. A good 2fer. A quick fix in the mountains for those coming from Calgary. This depending on the amount of snow is good all season hike scramble. The conditions woud be the similar to nearby Heart mountain. The summit affords fine views of Prairie Mountain. Moose Mountain, Mount Baldy, Heart Mountain, Mount McGillivray, Pigeon Mountain as well as Mount Lougheed, Windtower, Rimwall, Minor peak, and the Three Sisters. To the North-west is Grotto, Gap peak and Mount Fable among others. Loder peak and Yamnuska are to the north. Good short day workout.

Getting There

From Calgary take the Trans-Canada Highway. Take the Seebe exit and head west on 1X till you meet the 1A. Turn left, then after about 5 minutes opposite the White Fish Day use parking and the large cement plant pull off and park on the side of the road and park. There are several routes up to ridge you can follow to the summit. One is following the old road for 50 paces then taking the trail up to the right. The route from that point is straight forward to the top, 1.5 to 2 hours depending on your pace. You just follow the line of least resistance to the top. There are a couple of places where you are slab walking. This while not difficult would pose more of a challenge when wet. Be aware of the weather. Carry bear spray. This peak con be very windy. Dress accordingly for the mountains.

There are sport climbing routes on Kid Goat Buttress which is south-east buttress of this mountain

Summit view from Door Jamb mountain, left to right, Prairie Mountain and Moose Mountain in the far distance, Mounts Baldy, Heart Mountain, Mount McGillivary, Pigeon, Windtower, Rimwall, Minor Peak, the Three Sisters, Lawrence Grassi, the east end of Rundle, Grotto, Gap peak, Mount Fable plus many others all the way to Loder Peak and Yamnuska, far right.

Red Tape

 
Yamnuska
Mount Yamnuska from the summit of Door Jam Mountain.
Look out for bear & fire warnings and postings.
Barrier Lake Visitor Centre 403-678-0760
Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1
weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions

Camping

 
Door Jam Mountain
View from the summit of Door Jam Mountain.
Spray Lakes West Shore Campground has 50 sites (403) 591-7226
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1
weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions

Alpine Club of Canada

Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/

Staying at the club in Canmore is 21$ Canadian for members and 27$ for non-members. A good place to crash. It can get quite crowded in the summer so a reservation is recommended.