Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.02420°N / 107.1228°W
Additional Information County: Gunnsion
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13528 ft / 4123 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Raggeds Wilderness Overview

The Raggeds Wilderness, located in the Elk Mountains, contains 65,019 acres of land and was designated in 1980. It's boundaries are the Crystal River, Schofield Pass, Kebler Pass and Colorado 133, from the north, east, south and west, respectively. The northwestern corner of the Raggeds Wilderness is occupied by the Raggeds Range, a subrange of the Elk Mountains. The center of the Raggeds Wilderness is dominated by twin Treasure Mountain and Treasury Mountain massif. Finally, the southeast corner is occupied by the Ruby Range, another subrange of the Elk Mountains accessible from the town of Crested Butte, Colorado.

Treasury Mountain  photo_id=98610

Treasure Mountain, UN13407, and the mighty Elk Mountains, from left to right, from the summit of Treasury Mountain. Photo: JonBradford

Treasure Mountain Overview

Treasure Mountain is the highest of all three Treasure Mountains in Colorado. Treasure Mountain is located almost 5 miles southeast of Marble, Colorado in the Elk Mountains. Treasure is the highpoint of the Raggeds Wilderness and forms the divide between Crystal River and Yule Creek. Treasure Mountain is a tricentennial thirteener coming in at the 235th highest and 25th most prominent peak in the state.



Treasure Mountain & UN13407, from left to right, from the summit of Treasury Mountain. Photo: JonBradford



None of the five routes listed below are technical, but the views from the summit are spectacular. From the summit, one can see the massive San Juan Range, the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness and the surrounding Raggeds Wilderness.
Treasure Mountain
Trasure Mountain from Lead King Basin. Photo: Kane

Getting There

Since Treasure is so massive there are five routes all accessible via Marble, Colorado.


Route Name
Grade
Elevation Gain (feet)
Roundtrip Distance (miles)
Season
Trailhead
Reference
Southeast Ridge
III
4600
12
Summer
Crystal
1,2
Northwest Ridge
III
4828
8
Spring
Yule Creek
3
West Face
III
5228
8
Spring
Yule Creek
3
Treasure Mountain Couloirs
III
4728
4
Spring
Schofield Pass Road
3
West Face Direct
III
5628
9
Spring
Yule Creek
-


Since all the routes, except West Face Direct, are described elsewhere, only the West Face Direct route is described here.

West Face Direct:

Drive Highway 133 from Paonia or Carbondale. Turn east onto a well-signed road leading to Marble on the north side of McClure Pass. Drive 6 miles to a stop sign in Marble. Turn right onto Quarry Road. Drive 2.6 miles and park at the base of Mud Gulch. This is the same trailhead for both Marble Peak and Whitehouse Mountain. Follow the Yule Creek Trail to the base of Treasure Mountain's southwest face. Climb the drainage past Yule Lakes to Treasure Mountain's summit.
West Face Direct
Treasure Mountain's West Face Direct Route. Click to enlarge.

Red Tape

Northern Section of the Raggeds Wilderness:

White River National Forest
Old Federal Building, Box 948
Glenwood Springs, CO 81602
303-945-2521

Southern Section of the Raggeds Wilderness:

Gunnison Ranger District
216N. Colorado
Gunnison, CO 81230
970-641-0471

Mountain Conditions

7 Day Forecast for Marble, CO

Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC)

Roaring Fork Avalanche Center

Camping

Camp at a trailhead or lodging is available in Marble, CO.

External Links

Colorado Prominence Peak List
Trip Report

References

1. Guide to Colorado Mountains
2. Beyer J (1968) Trail and Timberline. 598: 224
3. Dawson's Guide to Colorado Backcountry Skiing, Volume 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Elk MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
 
Elk Mountains Highest 20Mountains & Rocks