Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.17560°N / 117.6561°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4198 ft / 1280 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Frankish Peak




Frankish Peak is a small peak in front of Ontario Peak in the eastern San Gabriels. It is visible for miles around in the Inland Empire and San Gabriel Valley. Views of San Antonio Canyon, Ontario Peak, West Fork Canyon of the Cucamonga Creek, Cucamonga Canyon, and the Inland Empire are offered from the top of this small mountain. Many people have been to the top and snow levels hardly fall below 4000' in the area, thus making this a year-round peak. The peak use to be on the Lower Peaks List but was delisted due to storm damage. The old road route though is still passable though. Frankish Peak has a prominence value of P678 feet. It is also a great mountain bike ride. There are atleast four routes to the summit and I will be detailing them later. Other nearby peaks are Potato Mountain, Sunset Ridge, Colver Peak, Windy Point, Windy Point, and BM La Verne.

Getting There

From the 210 Freeway take the Carnelian St exit and head south to 19th Street. At 19th turn right head westward; at Sapphire Street turn right and head north. Continue until Skyline Drive. Head through the newly built houses to where the fireroad starts up the mountain. Park here at one of the few turnouts without blocking traffic. Park at the turnouts before the road turns to dirt.

Route

Frankish Topo



Follow the road for about mile, which turns to dirt, until you reach a fork. Turn left onto West Fork Truck Trail. Continue on the West Cucamonga Trail, it heads downhill at first, until it forks after about 2.5 miles. Turn right and head up the road to the summit of Frankish Peak after another mile.
The hike is around 9 miles roundtrip with about 2200 feet of gain.

Red Tape

If you park further up the road you will want to get a National Forest Adventure Pass which are available at many gas stations in Rancho Cucamonga and Upland.

External Links

For more information on the Lower Peaks List of the Sierra Club.

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.